Solved

How do I set a default value for a form fields in Contacts, Account, Deal or Custom Modules

• 12 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I don’t see any way to set default values in fields added to Contact, Account, Deal or Custom Modules.

For example, I add a checkbox to a Custom Module,  There seems no way to cause the checkbox to default to “Enabled”.

Likewise, if I add a dropdown list, I have no way to set the default selected item.

Same would be useful for other fields such as:

• Text box
  • Multi-select
  • Date (for date I’d like to default to values such as +7days, +1 month, +1 year, etc.

Is it possible to set default selected item?  How?

icon

Best answer by Aishwarya Parthasarathi 13 September 2021, 06:54

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Aishwarya’s answer is a perfectly valid answer but not what I was hoping for.  I think adding ability to set default while populating the form and then allowing the submitter to change the value before submitting the form would be a good enhancement to the platform.

i.e. there really should be a default value for any form fields.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello Steve, 

Greetings from the Freshworks Community. 

I understand your requirement, however, currently there is no direct option to make a fixed value for a field by default. You can set up a workflow automation which can update the field value to a fixed value whenever there is a new record created. 

For example, if you’d like to make a field value by default as “XYZ” whenever a new contact is created, then the following workflow set up can be configured. 

The above screenshot is a sample to set a default value for a text field, similarly, you can set it up for other field types as well. 

I hope this helps. Do reach out to us at support@freshsales.io in case of any further queries, our team will be glad to help you out. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hey Steve, 

Thanks for the clarification. 

If you’re looking to set a default field value in case of a webform, then we do have an option called “Hidden field” where you can declare the default value for a field in the form. 

In case of a classic form, please refer to the screenshot below on how to enable the hidden field option,

Here, 1234 is the default value which would be auto-populated when the client submits the form and gets created as a contact. This value can later be edited by your users once the record is created.

In case of a smart form, you can use the following code snippet to declare the hidden field value, 

<input style="display:none;" type="text" name="Source" value="Form1">

I hope this helps.