Question

Possible to create a contract upon approval of service request via workflow automator?

• 8 September 2021
  • 4 replies

We are new to FreshService. While exploring the functionality of Workflow Automator, I am wondering if the following scenario is possible, if not, how it can be addressed as automated as possible?

One of our service catalog item is creating a subdomain name and point it to a specific IP address for the purpose of marketing or events. The requester will be asked for the duration/expiry of such request so that we can terminate and remove the pointer from the DNS server. 

I am thinking of upon approval of said request, create an Automator rule to send a reminder for the requester upon expiration date about the expiration of the request and if they want to extend it they should update the request, else set a task for the agent to remove the subdomain name.

In the Workflow Automator however, if I want to send email, it is immediate, I can’t specify a wait duration before the email is out. 

Any idea is welcome.

Thank you in advance.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

A few scattered thoughts.

You can create a workflow rule on service request of a specific item... add a task.  A task can have a reminder with certain defaults as far as the reminder frequency 1w, 2w, 1m, 6m,1y. Not probably as granular as you would like.

You could also fire the creation of a project on a service request as well if you want to go that way.

Finally, a manual method would be adding an item in the schedule module.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

One more thought… you could execute a web api workflow automation task to Zapier and then control the reminders and notes thru that engine depending on your subscription level and other integrations.

I use Zapier a lot of weird scenarios in which I don't have enough functionality in FS yet. 

A few scattered thoughts.

You can create a workflow rule on service request of a specific item... add a task.  A task can have a reminder with certain defaults as far as the reminder frequency 1w, 2w, 1m, 6m,1y. Not probably as granular as you would like.

You could also fire the creation of a project on a service request as well if you want to go that way.

Finally, a manual method would be adding an item in the schedule module.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would agree with you that the current FreshService feature set does not offer such granularity that I am hoping for. 

In fact, the automation that I am imagining is, once the approval is obtained, the automation will kick in to set a reminder, send email to requester for extension or termination, extend the expiry should the requester choose to, and restart the cycle, or set a task for the helpdesk to get the team to deactivate and remove the service.

Am also wondering if a service request automation can kick start a contract entry which does the reminder part but seems automation not offered in Contract, which has been confined to assets.

Automation is an essential area for IT management as it get a lot of repetitive tasks off the manual hook. What is offer in FreshService is good but obviously, more can be done to meet our daily needs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I will add a few comments about this in the idea requests channel and see if the community managers can talk to the product managers.  @rashmi.nag and @ramsundar.radhakrishnan anything on the horizon to be able to have workflows around contracts specifically?

Definitely some value with that as well as further automations around offboarding employees and solutions.