Question

Supervisor to modify custom field & Workflow that triggers off that change - It's not working, and looking for suggestions

• 22 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have a supervisor that will modify a custom ticket field.  I also have a workflow that is setup to trigger based on this supervisor.  So when the supervisor changes this field the workflow then gets triggered.  The workflow does not seem to get triggered by the supervisor’s change.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

And I just heard that this is not possible.

You can do this. I did this 2 weeks ago for a client. I achieved it by the following:

1. Creating a custom field, mine was called ‘workflow step’ on my form. In my example I was going from step 1 to step 2.
  2. Create a supervisor rule that modified the workflow step to change from step 1 to step 2 based on a rule. **One thing which may be hanging you up is knowing that supervisor rules run each hour.** 
  3. Create a workflow where the event trigger is ‘workflow step’ updated from any to step 2.

Give this a try.

Dustin

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

You can do this. I did this 2 weeks ago for a client. I achieved it by the following:

1. Creating a custom field, mine was called ‘workflow step’ on my form. In my example I was going from step 1 to step 2.
  2. Create a supervisor rule that modified the workflow step to change from step 1 to step 2 based on a rule. **One thing which may be hanging you up is knowing that supervisor rules run each hour.** 
  3. Create a workflow where the event trigger is ‘workflow step’ updated from any to step 2.

Give this a try.

Dustin

Dustin,

Great minds think alike.  I did this, and the supervisor kicked off, but the workflow never triggered. I wonder why this worked for you, but failed when I did it. I watched the supervisor change the field, but the workflow never was kicked off.

I ended up using Microsoft flow to trigger this, which is not ideal.