Question

Workflow: change status based on ticket or SR contents

• 12 May 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’d like to set up an automation to change the status of a ticket or SR when it is submitted.

Is there a way to look at the custom fields in the ticket or specific text to trigger a status change?

For example, There is a dropdown selection in ALL of our Service Requests that reads ‘Is an ITSM ticket required?’ with choices of ‘Yes’ and ‘No’. If the automation sees specific text (in this case ‘Is an ITSM ticket required?: Yes’) then the workflow is triggered.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Joe,

You should be able to accomplish this.  I would make a workflow where the trigger is on create or update.  Then have the next step be where all conditions are met.

Badge

@patricksawyer , I tried that. There is no way I can find for the workflow automation to look at the text of a custom field such as the question and response below and base an action off of that.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Joe, 

You need use the “Requested Items” field under ticket fields, then add a subcondition.  Here is an example.  The app install is an item, and the “Windows” field is a selection.

Let me know if this helps you out.

Badge

Patrick,

I think that is close, but does not quite meet the requirement. The Ticket Fields.Requested Items shows a list of items displayed in the service catalog (as your example shows the installation of 8x8 application). The status change I would like to make would not be triggered by a service catalog item, rather off of the content of a custom field added to the service item. As far as I can tell there is no way to use the automator to search custom fields for specific text. That is what I am trying to work around.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Joe,

I guess I don’t understand, because this is exactly what you can do with the automator.  You give it a field, and based on the content of the field it will trigger an action.  Below is a custom text field on a custom item.  Are you trying to do this across multiple fields, and multiple items?

I’m happy to help you out here, but if this doesn’t work then draw a quick flow chart; it doesn’t need to be fancy just to give an idea on what you want to do.

Also, if you are a Microsoft customer I have an advanced workflow option for you if you can’t do this in FS native.

Badge

Hi,

Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I am trying to do this across ALL the items in my service catalog not just one item. I see that I can add multiple items after ticket fields.requested items, and for each of those I can add a sub-condition. What I am trying to accomplish is a way to do this for all the items in the service catalog at one time without having to modify the automator each time we add an item to the service catalog. I now see there is no way out of the box to do that.

Thanks for all the help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Yeah, I don’t think there is a way to do that out of the box.  If you have O365 you might be able to do something like that in flow.  The problem I see is you would need to define each field in any solution.