Solved

3rd party authentication on forums

• 9 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi,

I’m new to this community.

I’m trying to find a solution to the following problem.

We have a SaaS product and using Freshdesk (FD) as our helpdesk system. I’m trying to start-up a community forum on FD but only for paying clients on our SaaS product. I’d like to have them registered and authenticated by our SaaS product accounts rather then google or FB etc.

Is this possible?

We don’t want to have their contacts created in FD due to PII data concerns, just authenticated via our product.

Thanks

Shamila

icon

Best answer by Keer 3 December 2021, 23:21

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi Shamila,

First of all, let me extend a warm welcome to you! We’re excited to have you here.

I’ve flagged this question internally, and we’ll get back to you very soon. Apologies for the delayed response, and have a lovely weekend.

Best,

Arvind

Team Refresh Community

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hello @shimi

I’m going to try a jab at this: when using Freshdesk, the user will be required to login via a Freshdesk account to gain access to something that’s hosted on our platform (in this case a forum board.) So, I assume this will break the kind of user journey you envision for (using a different authorization login will still have them get created as a contact in the system.)
However, as available on the platform as well you’ll have full rights to delete a user’s data by deleting the contact’s profile completely -- but will this be helpful? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @shimi, sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. For your first workflow, you can set-up contact SSO with your product so that they can authenticate using the same credentials. 

Here’s an arrticle on how you can set up contact SSO: https://support.freshworks.com/support/solutions/articles/50000002351-what-is-and-how-to-configure-agent-sso-and-contact-sso-for-an-organization-

Now, to ensure only logged in users can access forums, you can tweak the previleges in Admin > Portal > Settings 

Portal Settings 

However, the contacts would be created if they are logging into Freshdesk. You can periodically run a script to hard delete the contacts using this API call. Do you think this would be helpful? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @Keer 

Thanks for responding. Our dev team is looking into SSO.

When you say:

“However, the contacts would be created if they are logging into Freshdesk. You can periodically run a script to hard delete the contacts using this API call.”

If the contacts are deleted, would they need to be recreated? or will that occur through SSO?

The SSO link config you’ve sent, i couldn’t find on our install. How else can i get to freshworks?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @shimi, as long as the contacts are added in your IDP you are setting the SSO with, they would be able to login to Freshdesk. However, a profile would also be created for them. Based on your usecase, you might have to edit it. 

The organization admin would be able to access the security settings. I can have a look at my end to see who’s the org admin and share it with you. Can you DM us your account URL?