Forwarding Emails to Existing TIckets

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

73 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Jay,

By default, any replies/forwards from an agent to an existing thread will always create public notes on the ticket. The only case where the agent responses might get tagged as private is when he/she replies to a private note notification.

In order to inject private notes, you might want to explore the option of using email commands 

Cheers!

@Aravind - is it possible to only have private notes added to tickets from agents? This is extremely important for us, as we email other agents frequently to ask for additional information, but sometimes this information needs to stay internal. Again, this is very important to our internal workflow. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Userlevel 1

Hello Jay,

You can use the email commands option to add a private note on a ticket from the agent's mailbox. A sample email command is listed below,

@Simonsays "action":"note" @Simonsays

Hi, this is the private note content

Cheers!

Hi. Please send me the email as well. We have a client with an auto reply on their email, and I want the reply added to the ticket. Currently it creates a new ticket.

Hi. Can you send me the email as well please? We have a client with an auto reply, and I want the reply to be added to the ticket. Currently a new ticket is created.

Hello Arvind, we are struggling with the same issue of new tickets being created by external email addresses responding to a note or reply. Can I please have the fix emailed to me also.

Userlevel 1

@Hermanand Kallen: In case if the contact is listed under the same company as the original ticket requester, the response would get threaded to the same ticket. Can you please check if that helps in your case?

Cheers!

Why can't this be a feature that we can enable / disable inside of Freshdesk? 

Aravind - can you please message me too - I'd like to see about enabling this feature in our Freshdesk. 

I'm also going to post this in the IDEAS forum - as this really should be something we have access to easily. I can't tell you how many times I have external emails that I want to forward into Freshdesk so it can be tracked - and like others - I don't want the email changed.

Userlevel 1

@Shawn Would you be forwarding emails from the same email address every time? There are two ways in which you can add an email to an existing ticket.

If the address from which you're sending the email is an agent, you can easily change the subject line to include the ticket ID and forward it so that it gets added as a public note on the ticket.

If it is an external address, you might want to add the contact to the company to which the current ticket belongs to. This way the contact gets authorised to send emails to the ticket owned by that company.

Cheers!

Aravind - that's what I'm suggesting - as these would be external emails, most likely with vendors, so no - I do NOT want to add these vendors as users in Freshdesk (as they'll change every time - it won't be the same person at the same vendor or even the same vendor).

Bottom line - just need an easier way that we can forward an email into an existing ticket with it preserving the email address of that person without having to create that person as a contact in Freshdesk or jumping through other hoops. I do like the idea of just adding the ticket number on the subject line - but, as you've already hinted (and I've read in other threads) there are limitations to this. That's why I'm posting it here as a feature request - it should be easier for us to just forward ANY email we want into the system (as long as I'm an agent) and associate it with a ticket and track.

Is there a solution in the meanwhile? (I am tired of merging tickets...)

I found it myself.

The subject has to contain [#NUMBER].

This doesn't seem to work, at least, if you try to forward an email it only takes the contents you write yourself

I'm having mixed results with this.

If a customer sends an email to our support address with [#TICKETNUMBER] in the subject, it isn't appended to the existing ticket, even when the ticket is open and the email is from the same email address.  A new ticket is then created, which is confusing to the customer (and me).

I have tried forwarding emails with [#ticketnumber] in the subject line but it is not working. Any help would be appreciated. 

Adding the ticket number to the subject line of forwarded emails is not working for me. Please advise how I can add emails to specific tickets. 

Hi aravind.sundararajan,

We have the same problem with new tickets being created while responding by mail. So Can you please send us the same solution you gave Philip Lakic and Matthew.

Thanks!

Regads,

This page is very help full for me .

thanx

any one tell me?

Hello,

I want to ask have you tried the [#123] because i think it will open a new ticket anyway?

Thanks.

is it possible to only have private notes added to tickets from agents? This is extremely important for us, as we email other agents frequently to ask for additional information, but sometimes this information needs to stay internal. Again, this is very important to our internal workflow. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Can you please send us the same solution you gave Philip Lakic.  We have the same problem with new tickets being created and it's driving our team and customers crazy.

• Direct customer correspondence occurs outside of ticket and in Gmail
  • 2. It is decided a ticket should be opened.
  • 3. Customer opens a ticket through the service portal and not over email. 
  • 4. Notes from email are vital to solving the ticket and we'd like to the email chain logged to the existing ticket somehow.
  • credit: tag tricks

Can you please send us the same solution you gave Philip Lakic.  We have the same problem with new tickets being created and it's driving our team and customers crazy.

Badge +2

I don't believe it's that simple. 

I've spoken to freshdesk support a few times about this same problem.

It is my understanding that freshdesk looks at the ticket ID tag number [#2500] plus the email address of the sender plus email addresses contained within the forwarded message.

What I have found is that if I forward an email message to a ticket ID tag number and the sending email address or email addresses contained within the forwarded message don't previously exist within the ticket, then freshdesk creates a new ticket.

I find this particularly annoying because customers sometimes respond to your email messages using different email addresses and freshdesk decides that this is now a new ticket even thought the subject line contains the correct ticket ID tag number.

Still working?