Question

Keyboard Shortcuts in Freshdesk fire unexpectedly

• 20 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I was having weird effects with seemingly random keyboard shortcuts being activated. After weeks of aggro I finally happened to look at the list of shortcuts and realized why - they use a combination of normal letters without an interrupt key. No ALT or CTRL. So being a fast typist kicks off a shortcut any time I type a ‘g’ and then another letter after it. This particularly happens when typing a reply to a customer and I often lose a bunch of what I had typed. Blecch. My only workaround for this is to disable the shortcuts entirely.

It would be really nice to be able to use some shortcuts. Could they be changed to properly use an interrupt key? Or be modifiable by user?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

This happens to us all the time!! Typing out a note on a ticket and suddenly a reply is opened up and the note is gone! Or some other shortcut happens.  Its very frustrating, and I have no answers, but I commiserate!! :upside_down:

There has got to be a solution that doesn’t include totally disabling shortcuts - - - but in the meantime - that is what I will be doing!

Issue is still on going, only apparent work around is to type slowly or disable keybinds.

All keybinds should really be hidden behind modifier keys like alt or ctrl (never shift alone due to its usage to uppercase letters)

I believe this is what myself and my colleague are experiencing and it’s infuriating. Results in me sometimes accidentally sending emails or pulling up a note when I’m part way through a Reply.

I’ll have to check the list of shortcuts and see if it maps to the behaviours I see.

Some members of our team, including myself, have been experiencing the same issue as @foxcubmama and @taylorHaze have mentioned in an above post. The amount of time lost as a result of having to re-do/re-type tickets is becoming a real inefficiency for us. We suspect it is something to do with the Keyboard Shortcuts and it seems to happen when switching between screens, however we have not been able to consistently replicate the issue. We can confirm it happens on both FireFox & Chrome browsers, so it is definitely not exclusive to one browser. We have also not been able to find any relevant info (aside from this post) in the FW knowledgebase.

As a workaround, we now type up all our notes, screenshots etc.. in word before transferring over to FD to add a new note or reply. Surely there must be an explanation on what is causing this and an actual workaround that doesn’t require slow typing or using additional third-party software to record notes?? Does disabling the Keyboard Shortcuts prevent this issue from occurring?

Can we please get an update on this issue FW community team! @Jebas@Sumana Srikanthan@rhea.desouza 

Badge +4

Folks, I can understand why this is an issue. I have brought it up with the Product team. Since the 2023 roadmap is already frozen, they need some time to discuss internally, analyze the impact to see if this can be accommodated. I’ll try and come back in a week’s time on this thread. Appreciate your patience in the meantime.