Question

Microsoft 365 Shared Mailbox support

• 18 September 2022
  • 4 replies

• Apprentice
  • 0 replies

Hi there, 

We are using M365 Shared Mailboxes for our engagement with customers. Now we are evaluating changing to freshdesk, but it seams like there is no support for shared mailboxes so far. That would be blocker for us and I wanted to ask if there is a way to get the Microsoft email integration, which freshdesk seams to support, to work with shared mailboxes. As far as I can see, it would be sufficient to have a place to enter the exchange mailbox that should be used with the authentication provided instead of using the default mailbox of the user.

So is there a way to get this done or is this a feature that is in development? This would unblock us and help us move forward with freshdesk.

Thanks, 

Sia

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I vote for supporting Shared Mailboxes as well!

Isn’t there a limitation if FW support only direct loged in mail boxes ?

I vote for supporting Shared Mailboxes as well!

Hello

The mailbox itself is only a storage location for mails. So I dont understand why Fresh has an issue with ticket creation and appending of replies. Mails read through IMAP, Pop3, MS Graph, ...  have always the same headerfields and body;

Im working with different tools who can read mails from mailboxes, most of them are using the MS Graph API to read a mail from a mailbox. This is our and Microsoft prefered way for reading mails in Office 365 for applications. The Azure AD enterprise application can be given the right to read or send mails from one or multiple shared mailboxes. To logon as an enterprise application, an appid and token is needed.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/user-list-messages?view=graph-rest-1.0&tabs=http

When Fresh uses IMAP and SMTP, it cant use the enterprise application to login to the mailbox. A shared mailbox requires a disabled account, so this cant be used for access through IMAP. A shared mailbox doenst have a license requirement from Microsoft.

Im positively looking to the future for development on this topic by Fresh.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Sia 

Greetings from the Freshworks community!

Group/Shared inboxes at times cause issues with ticket creation and appending of replies. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you do not use them as your support email addresses. But in case you have no other option, please ensure the following points are taken into consideration while configuring the same.

1. In the case of a shared mailbox, the support email should be the primary email address of the shared mailbox, and also IMAP should be enabled for the shared mailbox.
2. In the case of the shared mailbox, the account which you have used for signing in, should be a member of the shared mailbox and have read and managed permissions and sent as permission.

Feel free to drop a note here incase of further queries.