Question

Navigation menu to Knowledge Base

• 9 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello.

I’m wondering if there is any way to add a navigation menu to our knowledge base. When reading an article, the left pane shows “Related Articles” but if we wanted them to be read and followed in a specific order, it’d be much more helpful to have the entire Solution tree as something that can be made expandable. Sounds like basic functionality, but I can’t find how to make it work.

Something like:

• Category A
    • Folder 1 (expandable)
    • Folder 2 (expandable)
    • Folder 3 (expandable)
  • Category B
    • Folder 1 (expandable)
    • Folder 2 (expandable)
  • Category C
    • Folder 1 (expandable)

There wouldn’t be a need to always go back home. I know we can directly link from one article to another but that’s not what I’m looking for. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi, 

Would something like this be of interest to you, then:

??

Here you have expand/collapse on each article, and the different folders on the right.

I know this can be arranged with portal customization, i.e. adding HTML/CSS/Javascript code.

Badge

Thanks @evlo96

Yes, something like that would be great. Is there any sample code that freshworks has provided for this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

No problem, @Danielch

Thanks @evlo96

Is there any sample code that freshworks has provided for this?

Not that I have found, unfortunately. My company is in the process of hiring 3rd party to customize the FAQ section, among other things.

Badge +1

We have just recently launched our own portal on Freshdesk and created the sidebar navigation.

It expands, and also expands when you link directly the solution.

https://support.inlinemanual.com/support/solutions/articles/80000983302-how-to-announce-new-features

We are not using Categories yet, just folders, but it can be, I would say, easily re-used if you have some basic knowledge of HTML/JS.

I can share the code with you if you want to give it a try.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@msotak could you share that code here? I’d like to see it too. Thanks