Set up Custom Objects in your Freshdesk yet?

• 21 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +4

Applicable plans: Forest/Enterprise

You can create Custom Objects to capture all relevant, business-critical information right from the get-go with just a few clicks. Through these Custom Objects, you can equip your agents with complete context and enable them to be productive, and respond and resolve faster than ever.

If you are on the Forest or Enterprise plan, just drop a comment on this post to learn more!

9 replies

Badge

Hi @KP- ,

Thank you for your feedback.

How can we get a Product Roadmap for the CUSTOM OBJECTS?

About the skills, let’s say I have 2 tickets. Each of these tickets is linked to a Booking Custom Object.

• Ticket 1 = Modification Request => Booking 1 = a Flight reservation performed on GDS
  • Ticket 2 = Moridication Request => Booking 2 = a Flight reservation perfomed on Lowcost platform

Both Tickets are Modificaiton requests and will be routed to the team in charge of handling Flight Modifications. Nevertheless, inside this team, some peopl know how to handle GDS and others don’t. This is a Skill. As of today the information is avaiable in a custom ticket field we created. But having dozens of ticket fields is not how we should do things : hence the excitement about Custom Objects. We should be able to use the fields of the Custom Objects in the Skill Definition.

More generally, when we define a one-to-one relationship with a custom object in ticket fields, this means that a ticket can only be associated with one and only one custom object.
By transitivity, the fields of this custom object should be usable in 100% of the FRESHDESK universe (all sections of all types of automation rules, placeholders, skills, canned responses, webhook etc.) in the same way as ticket fields. Imagine how powerful this would actually make the feature ! 

Let me know if this makes sense to you

Regards,

Timour

Hey there! 

Thanks for your feedback.

We do have plans to bring in custom object’s first automations, canned response support and placeholder support as well. We don’t see custom objects as a separate skill for agents - but please do share your usecase with us and we can look into it. 

Now for the custom app - please find our API documentation here and see if it helps you!

You can also populate ticket fields automatically using our ticket update API which is also available in the API documentation I shared above. I hope this helps!

Badge

Good Morning,

We have been looking at Custom Objects in FRESHDESK in order to store our clients’ bookings information. As of today, we are storing these information in TICKET FIELDS but would be willing to work a bit differently by :

• Feeding FRESHDESK via APIs with all our bookings in CUSTOM OBJECTS
  • Having only a BOOKING NUMBER field in the TICKET FIELD for the relation between TICKET and BOOKING

To be honest, I got really excited about the idea of transitionning to CUSTOM OBJECTS when I discovered the feature. From an architectural standpoint it definitely makes sense and it would be a straightforward solution to have the context behind a ticket without having agents to manually populate it or having to design labyrinthine workarounds each time we want to make things a bit more automatic.

Nevertheless, we currently have quite a lot of usage of the Ticket fields related to the Booking and we noticed a few critical limitations when it comes to CUSTOM OBJECT’s fields usability.

I would really like to have your feedback, FRESHWORKS, on these topics please

@Sumana Srikanthan @Jebas 

For example: 

• AUTOMATION RULES : It seems impossible to use a Custom Object’s field in the “EVENT” part of an UPDATE Automation Rule
  • CANNED RESPONSES : We can’t find how to display the Custom Object’s fields in the response (the Place holders are not avaialble)
  • WEBHOOK PLACEHOLDER : We can’t find how to use the Custom Object’s fields value in a webhook (the Place holders are not available)
  •  

• SKILL ADMINISTRATION : We can’t find how to use the Custom Object’s fields as part of the CONDITIONS defining that a ticket is linked to a SKILL
  • CUSTOM APP : one of our Custom App uses the ticket fields to calculate PRIORITY. But we can’t find how to use the Custom Object’s field in our calcuation rules (I don’t know if these are made available for developers to use)
  • POPULATE TICKET FIELDS WITH VALUES OF CUSTOM OBJECT FIELDS : This might sound like a weird idea. Nevertheless, it was what we thought could be a workaround to mitigate the fact that Custom Object Fields are not usable in a LOT of areas of FRESHDESK as described above in this message. But this workaround doesn’t seem to be achievable.
    Thank you,

Timour 
@SophiaEM @Vincent LAHAM 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’ve been slowly transitioning our service catalog approval flows to use a custom object to get the approvers instead of hard coding.

I have a handle on setting it up with multiple levels of approvals, but what I need now is an automated method to audit the list and there doesn’t seem to be a method to do that.  Options that would be ideal for me:

• Once a quarter (or other specific schedule), for each record in the table, send an email to the user in the “contact” column with the record details to confirm if the approver list is still valid
  • On a schedule, verify that all users in the approver fields are still active users in our directory.  If not, create a ticket.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yes trying to use it but its more or less useless to prsent to customer as a look up field, its clunky, poor CE. Only shows 3 matching results and customer would need to konw exact details to type in to match. Was told by Freshdesk after a consultation meeting they could go back and speak to developer to change then was told in email few days later, sorry its a no, thats how it works. Disappointing as we can’t seem to use it.

To set up custom objects in Freshdesk, you'll need administrative access to your Freshdesk account. Here's a general process you can follow:

1. Log in to your Freshdesk admin portal.
  2. Navigate to the "Admin" tab or the settings area.
  3. Look for an option like "Custom Objects" or "Custom Fields." The exact location and naming might vary depending on the version and configuration of your Freshdesk account.
  4. Click on the appropriate option to create a new custom object or modify existing ones.
  5. Define the properties or fields you want to include in the custom object. These fields can be of various types like text, number, date, dropdown, etc.
  6. Configure the visibility and permissions for each field if necessary.
  7. Save your custom object configuration.

Once you have set up the custom object, you can start using it to store and manage additional information specific to your organization's needs within Freshdesk. Remember that the exact steps may differ based on the version of Freshdesk you are using, so you may want to consult Freshdesk's documentation or contact their support for more detailed and up-to-date instructions.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Just starting to look at it, the video say just to import data, is that using the CSV file?  Nothing on how to do that.  Using CSV is good for things that don’t change that often like ones a months. 
Second way is to use the API I guess. 

Can this objects be used in automations? ( Like you can in Freshservice ) 

Hi @daniel.soderlund ,

I hope you’re doing well!

Greetings from the Freshworks Community!

Yes, you are correct, you can update the Custom Object records using API. Here is the Documentation
https://developers.freshdesk.com/api/#update_a_custom_object_record

Also, Yes, you can set up Automations using the Custom Object records.
Please check this article to learn more about Custom Objects:
https://support.freshdesk.com/en/support/solutions/folders/50000000724

Please let us know if you have more queries regarding Custom Objects. 

Regards,
Jebas D

Go to Admin -> Support Operations -> Custom Objects. Click on 'Create a custom object' Enter the Custom Object name, in this case, we can use 'Orders' Enter a description for the object.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just starting to look at it, the video say just to import data, is that using the CSV file?  Nothing on how to do that.  Using CSV is good for things that don’t change that often like ones a months. 
Second way is to use the API I guess. 

Can this objects be used in automations? ( Like you can in Freshservice )