Solved

What are some of the hardest tasks for an IT Admin?

• 10 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

I’ve been interested in moving my career forward as an IT administrator and was wondering what some of the struggles come with the position.

icon

Best answer by manns 10 August 2021, 15:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Looking beyond the never-ending stream of work, the lack of recognition (although this changed for at least the short term during the pandemic) is commonly an issue.

This was shown to great effect in an episode of The IT Crowd - it might as well have been a documentary ;)

The clip can be watched here: https://youtu.be/zZCszIUcyVM

Badge

Making/Updating Documentations of Systems and Changes

Badge +1

IT administrators shoulder a myriad of challenges, navigating the complex terrain of network security, data management, and user access control. Ensuring the integrity and backup of critical data, managing user permissions without compromising security, and staying ahead of cyber threats are constant priorities. The delicate balance of software updates and patch management, coupled with the responsibility of scaling IT infrastructure to accommodate organizational growth, demands a strategic approach. Dealing with technology vendors, incident response, and troubleshooting further adds to their multifaceted role. Compliance with IT regulations, providing end-user support, and managing the transition to cloud services contribute to the intricate tapestry of an IT administrator's responsibilities, requiring a dynamic skill set and adaptability to ever-evolving technological landscapes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Keeping up with the never ending improvement requests was the biggest struggle for myself when I was an IT admin in the past! Whether that was new forms and automation for existing IT processes or implementing integrations with other department systems, there was always something to enhance and new technology I have to stay up to date on. Having a consistent dialogue with department leaders and defining priorities for the organization was paramount to help keep my day to day balanced with my core admin tasks as well as keep tracking of other initiatives.