Solved

API credentials not tied to user

• 18 May 2021
  • 3 replies

We have integrated our subscription management platform with Freshdesk such that when a customer’s subscription is within x days of auto-renewing, the subscription management platform creates a ticket/sends an email through Freshdesk to the customer, reminding them that their subscription will renew.

The issue I am running in to is that because I am both a developer and support agent, all the tickets created with my API key through this integration show up as having been sent/created by me- so when a customer replies, they say “Hi Eliot” and believe that I am the one sending them the email, because my name is on the ticket. This is incorrect- we want these tickets to come from the generic sales email that is tied to the Freshdesk group the tickets are created under.

It seems that this is because we are using the API key for my account to authenticate our software with Freshdesk.

Is it possible to create API credentials that aren’t tied to a specific user, and thus actions taken via the API will show up as being due to invocation by those API credentials, not as by the user who created them?

This also seems desirable because if I ever quit and my individual Freshdesk account is deleted, the integration will cease to work as my credentials will have been removed.

icon

Best answer by Keer 21 May 2021, 10:03

Hello there, @efriedman! I hope you are doing well today. We understand that you’ve used your API credentials in integrating your subscription management platform and Freshdesk. 

You’ve mentioned that the mail’s sent with your name. Can you help in understanding if they are created with your email as the requester email? If so, can you brief me on how the email is sent to the contact in the first place? 

If you wish to use an API key that’s not tied to your name, you can create an agent with a generic email and use their API key. But, you’d have to ensure that they have admin credentials and have full-time agent access. Else, the call might fail with access or login errors. 

To answer this part of your query, This also seems desirable because if I ever quit and my individual Freshdesk account is deleted, the integration will cease to work as my credentials will have been removed, yes, you are right. For the integration to work, you’d have to replace the API key with the active account admin’s API key. 

If you could provide more details on the integration and flow you’ve set up, we can dig deeper into it to see how the current flow can be modified. Please post them here or send a mail to support@freshdesk.com and we’d be glad to help you further.   

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello there, @efriedman! I hope you are doing well today. We understand that you’ve used your API credentials in integrating your subscription management platform and Freshdesk. 

You’ve mentioned that the mail’s sent with your name. Can you help in understanding if they are created with your email as the requester email? If so, can you brief me on how the email is sent to the contact in the first place? 

If you wish to use an API key that’s not tied to your name, you can create an agent with a generic email and use their API key. But, you’d have to ensure that they have admin credentials and have full-time agent access. Else, the call might fail with access or login errors. 

To answer this part of your query, This also seems desirable because if I ever quit and my individual Freshdesk account is deleted, the integration will cease to work as my credentials will have been removed, yes, you are right. For the integration to work, you’d have to replace the API key with the active account admin’s API key. 

If you could provide more details on the integration and flow you’ve set up, we can dig deeper into it to see how the current flow can be modified. Please post them here or send a mail to support@freshdesk.com and we’d be glad to help you further.   

Tickets (or outbound emails) are created by POSTing a request to the new ticket/outbound email endpoints. They are created with the proper “requester” contacts, that’s not an issue. What I’m talking about is here:

You can see that the email comes from “sales@osmsois.net” but it shows my name as the person who sent the email, when really we want it to come from a generic address.

I see that we could create another agent for this and use that account’s API key, but then we’d be paying for another fulltime agent, which is a bit pricey considering the relatively small scope of what we’re trying to do here. Most products we’ve encountered offer ways to create API keys for different applications/uses at no cost. Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Userlevel 1

Tickets (or outbound emails) are created by POSTing a request to the new ticket/outbound email endpoints. They are created with the proper “requester” contacts, that’s not an issue. What I’m talking about is here:

You can see that the email comes from “sales@osmsois.net” but it shows my name as the person who sent the email, when really we want it to come from a generic address.

I see that we could create another agent for this and use that account’s API key, but then we’d be paying for another fulltime agent, which is a bit pricey considering the relatively small scope of what we’re trying to do here. Most products we’ve encountered offer ways to create API keys for different applications/uses at no cost. Is there any other way to accomplish this?

It seems like you might have the “Use agent names in ticket replies and outbound emails” option toggled under Admin > Email > Advanced Settings. 

When this option is toggled on, the agents will be allowed to choose their own name as the sender name in ticket replies and outbound emails. However, the sender email will remain the support email address.

Please have the same toggled off so that the replies and the outbound emails are logged from the ‘Name’ you had given for your support email.

Cheers!

Aldrin,
Freshworks Community Team!