Solved

Employee Onboarding API - How to get the onboarding ID

• 6 April 2021
  • 3 replies

In the Onboarding system, onboarding items are given a unique sequential ID that is unique to onboarding.  When the onboarding item gets completed tickets get generated, and the status of the employee onboarding item is updated.

I am looking to use the API to update the ticket owner with the hiring manager.  To do this I can use the onboarding API to get the correct “actor” and the ticket API to write the value of the actor to the requestor.  However I cannot figure out how to get the Onboarding ID from the ticket ID.

There doesn’t seem to be any URL parameters to filter.  Once the onboarding request becomes a ticket it removes any traces of its orgin short of how the ticket was created.  The webhook doesn’t have the onboarding ID as an available option.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the onboardging ID from the ticket ID?  If anyone has any ideas let me know. 

icon

Best answer by ashwin.nethaji 7 April 2021, 00:39

Hey @patricksawyer ,

Looks like when the Onboarding system completes an item, a ticket is created on Freshdesk and this is usually achieved by using the create ticket API endpoint. In this case, you can create a single-line ticket field under Admin>>Ticket fields and save it as Onboarding ID and when the API is triggered to create a ticket, you can pass the Onboarding ID from the Onboarding System to Freshdesk if it is possible for the Onboarding system to share the same with Freshdesk.

Hope this suits your requirements.

Cheers!

View original

3 replies

Hey @patricksawyer ,

Looks like when the Onboarding system completes an item, a ticket is created on Freshdesk and this is usually achieved by using the create ticket API endpoint. In this case, you can create a single-line ticket field under Admin>>Ticket fields and save it as Onboarding ID and when the API is triggered to create a ticket, you can pass the Onboarding ID from the Onboarding System to Freshdesk if it is possible for the Onboarding system to share the same with Freshdesk.

Cheers!

Hey @patricksawyer ,

Cheers!

Hello,  How would you pass that variable over?  

Userlevel 2

Hello @patricksawyer, once you add onboarding ID as a field under Admin → Ticket fields, it would be added as a custom field in your helpdesk which would have a name associated with it.

Adding the field

You would be able to find it by using the list ticket fields API: https://yourcompanyname.freshdesk.com/api/v2/ticket_fields

Finding the name of the custom field to pass in the  create ticket API

Once you get this, you can pass the value of the onboarding ID to this field in the create ticket API as mentioned here

Now, the new ticket created have a field named onboarding ID with value passed in the API call. 

I hope this helps!