Question

Germany - Smooth and selective double opt in with integrated app

• 18 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello, 
We recently chose Freshsales as our CRM and Marketing campaign manager. Being based in Germany, most of our leads are German, and by law we are required to have a double opt-in process set in place.
Freshworks has a double opt-in feature but it has some extra steps that are not ideal at all for an incoming lead to go through. Therefore, I have been searching for an integrated external app that would host our website forms, do this double opt-in in a straightforward way and send the data to Freshworks.

Has anyone been through this already? I would love to hear your feedback and/or recommendations if you have any.

And as a more general topic, I am very surprised of how few tools actually offer a double opt-in workflow, considering it is becoming the norm in the EU.

Thank you!
Arnaud

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello,

Greetings from the Freshworks Community. 

Currently, we do not have a direct integration with a double-opt in application within our native marketplace. However, you can use a pre-defined customer journey which lets you send the double-opt in verification via email. 

To use this, navigate to the customer journey section > playbooks > choose the pre-configured playbook for double opt in as shown below, 

I hope this helps. Please do reach out in case of further queries.

Have a great day! 

Hi,

we are evaluating the Freshsales Suite and double opt-in is a requirement for us. I took a look at the playbook, but I couldn't configure it properly. As I said, I am new to freshsales.

Here's what I understand:

1. The program is launched for all newly created or updated contacts.
  2. The conditions in the first step filter out all irrelevant contacts, for example the "subscription type" is "newsletter" and a new custom field "double opt-in status" is not checked.
  3. The recipient will then receive the mail. Should the mail contain an action button with a specific link or how can the user confirm the double opt-in?
  4. I don't understand what the "on click" step means.
  5. In the last step, the custom field "double opt-in status" is updated to "checked".
  6. Is there any documentation for this playbook?

Thank you very much for your help!

Badge

In my experience there is a somewhat mixed awareness and capability in freshworks for GDPR topics and this part of the product appears not to be used as much, at least not in the EU. (E.g. we, together with support, have not been able to get a cookie banners on a landing page to work, either from freshsales nor from a 3rd party)

After a bit of trial & error, the following works for us for double-opt-in currently as a journey:

1 contact handed in from landing page

2 change contact field to specially created subscription type “before-opt-in” or similar

3 send automated email with a link to a thank you page (be sure to use a link not a button, manually set link tracking to “on” for this one)

4 on click, change contact fields for subscription to “after-opt-in...”

make sure to end the journey (red controls “end journey”) if you would like to enable contacts to go through the journey multiple times. 

all the best!

Badge +1

If you're experiencing issues with a radius server due to blocked ports, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem: Read more Given below

1. Verify port blocking: Confirm that the ports used by the radius server are indeed blocked. You can use network diagnostic tools or contact your network administrator to check if the necessary ports are open and accessible.

2. Check firewall settings: If you have a firewall in place, ensure that it is configured to allow traffic on the required radius server ports. Adjust the firewall settings to permit inbound and outbound connections on the necessary ports. Consult your firewall documentation or seek assistance from your network administrator if needed.

3. Modify router or gateway settings: If you have a router or gateway device between your network and the internet, check its settings to ensure that it is not blocking the radius server ports. You may need to configure port forwarding or open the ports on your router/gateway device to allow traffic to reach the radius server.

4. Contact your ISP or network provider: If you are unable to modify firewall or router settings on your own, it's possible that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or network provider has implemented restrictions or port blocking policies. Contact them to inquire about any port blocking issues and see if they can assist in resolving the problem.

5. Consider alternative port configurations: If the standard ports used by the radius server are consistently blocked, you may want to consider configuring the server to use alternative ports that are less likely to be blocked. However, note that this approach may require adjustments on the client-side as well.

6. Use a VPN: If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you can try using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to connect to the radius server. A VPN can help bypass port restrictions imposed by your network or ISP by encrypting your traffic and routing it through a different network.

If you are not familiar with network configurations or lack the necessary permissions, it's advisable to reach out to your network administrator or IT support team for assistance. They will have the expertise to troubleshoot and resolve port blocking issues with your radius server.