Question

How to set-up download/lead magnet

• 14 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I’m trying to achieve what I think should be a simple requirement, but getting no-where.

I have a report on my website that I want to offer for download, but only if people share their contact details. 

My plan had been:

• Have a form on my website - integrated via tracking code
  • Use a journey to subscribe users to relevant mailing lists and send the email with report link

Simple? Not really. I can’t see how to trigger a journey based on a form submission. I was going to pass a hidden field with which report they wanted into the CRM, then trigger the journey based on the that field, Unfortunately fresh forms don’t seem to be able to handle hidden fields. 

What are other people doing? 

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello, 

Greetings from the Freshworks Community! 

Please find the step-by-step journey configuration to achieve this use-case, 

1. The trigger here would be a page visit and you can declare the UTM parameter for the form submission. For example, upon form submission, you can capture the “UTM Source” as “the form name” and the same can be used as a trigger. 
  1. The action here would be sending an email upon the submission, wherein you can add your email template with the report link. 

1. You can also refer to this support article for a detailed explanation on the custom events - https://crmsupport.freshworks.com/en/support/solutions/articles/50000003013-what-are-the-marketing-events-that-are-captured-as-system-events- 

I hope this helps. 

Do check these out and let me know in case of any further queries, I’ll be happy to help out. 

Have a great day! 

Badge

Step 1 – Choose Your Buyer Persona.
Step 2 – Identify Your Value Proposition.
Step 3 – Give Your Lead Magnet a Name.
Step 4– Choose What Type of Lead Magnet You Will Offer.
Step 5 – Create Your Lead Magnet.
Guide/Report.
Cheat Sheet/Handout.
Toolkit/Resource List.

Hello, 

Greetings from the Freshworks Community! 

Please find the step-by-step journey configuration to achieve this use-case, 

1. The trigger here would be a page visit and you can declare the UTM parameter for the form submission. For example, upon form submission, you can capture the “UTM Source” as “the form name” and the same can be used as a trigger. 
  1. The action here would be sending an email upon the submission, wherein you can add your email template with the report link. 

1. You can also refer to this support article for a detailed explanation on the custom events - https://crmsupport.freshworks.com/en/support/solutions/articles/50000003013-what-are-the-marketing-events-that-are-captured-as-system-events-  https://apkcalm.com/

I hope this helps. 

Do check these out and let me know in case of any further queries, I’ll be happy to help out. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks man. It solved my problem.

Implementing a complete system for offering a report download in exchange for contact details typically requires a combination of tools and services, including a website, form builder, email marketing platform, and possibly a CRM. Below is a simplified example of how you might implement a basic version of this system using HTML, JavaScript, and a fictional email marketing platform called "EmailService."

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head>

<title>Download Your Report</title>

</head>

<body>

<h1>Get Your Report</h1>

<form id="downloadForm">

<input type="text" id="name" placeholder="Your Name" required>

<input type="email" id="email" placeholder="Your Email" required>

<button type="submit">Download</button>

</form>

<div id="successMessage" style="display: none;">

<p>Thank you for providing your details. Click the link below to download the report.</p>

<a id="downloadLink" href="#">Download Your Report</a>

</div>

<script src="script.js"></script>

</body>

</html>

JavaScript (script.js):

document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", function () {

const downloadForm = document.getElementById("downloadForm");

const successMessage = document.getElementById("successMessage");

const downloadLink = document.getElementById("downloadLink");

downloadForm.addEventListener("submit", function (e) {

e.preventDefault();

const name = document.getElementById("name").value;

const email = document.getElementById("email").value;

// Simulate sending contact details to a server (replace with your actual server code).

// In a real application, you would send these details to your email marketing platform.

const user = {

name,

email,

};

// Simulate sending data to your email marketing platform.

EmailService.sendUserData(user, function (response) {

if (response.success) {

downloadLink.href = "report.pdf"; // Replace with the actual download link.

successMessage.style.display = "block";

downloadForm.style.display = "none";

}

});

});

});

// Simulate the EmailService (replace with actual email marketing platform integration).

const EmailService = {

sendUserData: function (user, callback) {

// Simulate sending data to the email marketing platform.

setTimeout(function () {

// Simulate a successful response.

const response = {

success: true,

};

callback(response);

}, 2000);

},

};

This code simulates the process of capturing user details, sending them to an email marketing platform (simulated by the EmailService), and displaying a download link once the data is successfully captured.

In a real-world scenario, you would need to integrate with a specific email marketing platform's API, handle user data securely, and replace the example download link with a link to your actual report file. Additionally, ensure you comply with data privacy regulations and implement appropriate security measures.