Question

Sales Sequence versus Workflow in FreshSales

• 4 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

What are the benefits or drawbacks of using Sales Sequences versus Workflows in automating tasks like email and updating/ tracking lead stages. 

I have inherited a system that uses lots of workflows and no sales sequences and I’m not sure why my predecessor chose one way exclusively; if there is any guidance on when each option is better, please add your opinion.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello, 

Greetings from the Freshworks Community. 

The sales sequences and workflows serve different purposes. Let’s look into two different examples to understand which automation can be used when. 

Example 1 - If a campaign should be sent to a specific set of records automatically on a specific date/time in a sequential way, sales sequence would be the right choice. 

A sales sequence has 2 types (classic/smart) wherein, the classic sequence is where you can define the day at which the email/SMS/reminder should be set having any interval between 2 steps. 

You can define a filter/set of filters and the leads that satisfies the conditions will be automatically pulled inside the sequence to go through all the email steps in the order. 

In case of a smart sequence, there are pre-defined equal time intervals which can be used to send out the emails. You can set up to 25 steps in a sequence within a 90 day time interval. 

Note: The sales sequence always run only on the configured date/time in bulk to all the records. 

Example 2 - If a welcome email should be sent out as soon as someone signs up a webform or any field update is made to a specific record. 

A workflow executes the actions in real time, whenever the condition set is satisfied by any of the record, the action will be triggered. There are multiple execution types in a workflow, such as, the action can be triggered either in real time, at a fixed time everyday, recurrently for a record etc. 

Please refer to the below articles for sales sequence and workflow automation for a detailed explanation, 

1. Sales sequences - What are sales sequences? How to configure a sequence?
  2. Workflows - How to configure a workflow?

Kindly check these out and let us know in case of any further queries at support@freshsales.io, we’ll be happy to help out. 

Cheers!