Question

Agent Group Business Rule issue

• 19 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Does anyone have any suggestions or example business rules they would be willing to share around setting viewable groups based on logged in Agent groups? 

We have several agent groups and there is a lot of cross team visibility as observers. This seems to be impacting our business rules around setting viewable groups. We have a lot of different departments using Freshservice and don’t currently have Workspaces enabled (but hopefully soon). For example, the Finance groups don’t necessarily need to have the Agent groups for other technology teams showing so we have business rules limiting the groups they see. 

Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @HeatherM14 we have designed a few specific manager agent groups that we hide visibility from L1 Agents. We use business rules to do this. I can show you the rule but if you are already doing something similar for your Finance group then I imagine you know how it works.

Can you show us some of the issues via screenshots that you may have where the rule is not functioning as you intended? The only thing that you mentioned that sparked a potential problem would be setting some agents as observers in a group. We have not tested that interaction with business forms yet so maybe that is causing some pain points.

Take care!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you for reaching out @zachary.king!

Here’s an example & I hope this makes sense:
I am an observer of the Data Eng group. But according to our business rule, the Data Eng group can’t assign tickets to my own group (we don’t want agents bypassing our Catalog Item) so unless I exclude my own group, I can’t pick my own group to assign a ticket to.

So we run into groups that might have Observer access to a group but because of the business rule for that group, it affects which groups they see in their Agent group list.

Is it better to create a group visibility business rule for each individual group? We have several groups lumped together under one business rule at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @HeatherM14, I think the best approach is to think of the business rule as an “Agent Role” rule. For example if you have Agents who are assigned, let’s call it , the “Finance Role”, then loggedInUsers assigned that role do not need to see the Engineering Groups when creating and handling tickets. So you create a business rule for forms that remove the Engineering Groups from available selection.

If you set up your Agent Roles and their respective scopes correctly you should be good to minimize visibility of groups with a few business rules.

Hope that helps and doesn’t cause additional confusion :)