Solved

Asset Tags/ Unique identifier for assets / Onboarding to Freshservice asset management

• 21 March 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hey all,

My organisation is currently implementing Freshservice and are trying to import our assets. We’re in a bit of a bind at the moment because we want to use the Freshservice Agent (works great!), but we also need to import some asset data before we can add the agent to those computers. As it is now, it seems like the Asset Tag is the unique identifier for all assets - is this possible to change to serial number instead? I can’t find a setting anywhere that concerns this, and the last thing I want is doubles of all our assets (already happened once and it was a manual nightmare to remove 100+ assets).

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Sarah

icon

Best answer by mfedele 21 March 2022, 15:30

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

hi @Nezeki !

You can choose as unique Value  Asset Tag or Display Name

• Asset Tag field 

• Display Name

The problem of Serial Number field is that is not a Universal field : it is only available if the Asset is a Hardware asset.

So, you do not have the possibility to enforce the unique value on that field.

I hope you find answer in my response.

If not do not hesitate to reply or DM me.

Best Regards.

Mathieu

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks @mfedele

I feel really stupid by asking, but where are those screenshots taken from? I feel like I’ve been looking through every possible setting within Freshservice and I just can’t find it...

To circumvent this at our office, I've chosen for example for all our mobile phones, instead of using the “serial number” field, we are using the Asset Tag field as the serial number field. This prevents any double registrations of serial numbers. Maybe that is a quick solution? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@mfedele Thanks! Where are the screenshots taken from? I can’t find that view :/

@Rijnders That’s fine for entering assets manually, but when they’re added automatically by using the Freshservice agent, we need to set the unique id at system level because now it’s simply creating asset numbers by itself.

@Nezeki  Apologies, I missed the Agent part. Then my answer indeed is not useable :-)

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Nezeki 

The Screenshots are taken from the Admin-->Asset Types & Fields -->Hardware.😃

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@Ammar KB Thanks for the response, I received help from @mfedele in dm :) 

For anyone else with the same eyes as me, the settings are found in Admin > Asset Types & Fields > Default fields. I was going crazy in the Hardware section and didn’t look close enough at the Default fields one because I assumed it was part of the hierarchy and not a separate button to Settings! 

@Ammar KB Thanks for the response, I received help from @mfedele in dm :) 

For anyone else with the same eyes as me, the settings are found in Admin > Asset Types & Fields > Default fields. I was going crazy in the Hardware section and didn’t look close enough at the Default fields one because I assumed it was part of the hierarchy and not a separate button to Settings! 

THIS is what I was looking for...lol...thank you @Nezeki !!!