Solved

Attachments create NEW ticket instead of adding to old

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi all,
I searched through all answers and topics but I could not find the right one. If I overlooked I am sorry in advance. 😉

When a customer sends an seperate email (not replying on!!) to my freshservice mailbox it created a new ticket instead of attaching this to an existing ticket.
We use the subject: [#INC-1234] - Attachment where #INC-1234 is the existing ticket. A new ticker #INC1235 is created telling that this is a attachment for ticket #INC-1234.
But it is not attached to the incident itself.
What do we do wrong?

icon

Best answer by Daniel Söderlund 1 June 2023, 10:41

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi all,
I searched through all answers and topics but I could not find the right one. If I overlooked I am sorry in advance. 😉

When a customer sends an seperate email (not replying on!!) to my freshservice mailbox it created a new ticket instead of attaching this to an existing ticket.
We use the subject: [#INC-1234] - Attachment where #INC-1234 is the existing ticket. A new ticker #INC1235 is created telling that this is a attachment for ticket #INC-1234.
But it is not attached to the incident itself.
What do we do wrong?

Hello, 

Is this external or internal users?  I would recommend contacting the support and ask them to enable mail threading. 

//Daniel 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Daniel Söderlund  It is for external users. We have setup a connection between to Service applications. But I was told that attachments could not be send with an API.
Therefor I suggested to send the attachments by mail using the [#INCxxxx] in the subject. But it is not working.
Replying on a normal ticket works great. It is attached to the right ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Daniel Söderlund  It is for external users. We have setup a connection between to Service applications. But I was told that attachments could not be send with an API.
Therefor I suggested to send the attachments by mail using the [#INCxxxx] in the subject. But it is not working.
Replying on a normal ticket works great. It is attached to the right ticket.

Have you checked with FW support if your account is  mail thread enabled? They need to ad the FROM adress. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Daniel Söderlund I will do so. Not done yet. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Daniel Söderlund : Talking to the desk right now. Thank you so much!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@joffdavid : I am not sure if I understand what you mean. I think this is not relevant for my question.
But if I am wrong please elaborate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@joffdavid: I am not sure if I understand what you mean. I think this is not relevant for my question.
But if I am wrong please elaborate.

Spambot :( 

You can add attachments but then the other system need to have support for the format needed to send. You can do it using LogicaApps in azure or use other integration platform that can send in the correct form.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

The application is Ultimo. Ultimo cannot send attachments because it cannot use curl commands.
Therefor we need a work around. I thought sending an email with the correct INC number would do the trick but is not.
FW told me to use the exact same subject line. Not working either. :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The application is Ultimo. Ultimo cannot send attachments because it cannot use curl commands.
Therefor we need a work around. I thought sending an email with the correct INC number would do the trick but is not.
FW told me to use the exact same subject line. Not working either. :-(

It needs to be able to send a web hook with the multipart/form-data format. 

• Only files on your local machine can be attached using API.
  • The Content-Type should always be multipart/form-data for create/update requests with attachments.
  • The name of the file is preserved after it is attached i.e the filename sent in the response will be the same as the one in the request.

They use curl as a example. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi @EricRoeland 

Just double checking, maybe a silly question:

Is the sender of the attachment the Requester or at least is part of the CC'ed?

If not, FS will create a new ticket always, because they not only check for the subject with the correct [#INC-nnnnn] format.

There are a couple of threads where I have described all the checks currently done by FS when receiving emails for Email Thread to work.

I'll try to get them for you.

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@eeha0120 :
The first emai is send because of an API connection. The sender is a contact from our contact list.
The API sends out on behalf of a contact.
I tried something else and it seems to work.
Sending an email from a complete unknown email address but including the INC number and the exact line of the subject did the trick.
The only thing is can this be configured in the API connection?
If you have some more info I am looking forward to read….

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi @EricRoeland 

Just double checking, maybe a silly question:

Is the sender of the attachment the Requester or at least is part of the CC'ed?

If not, FS will create a new ticket always, because they not only check for the subject with the correct [#INC-nnnnn] format.

There are a couple of threads where I have described all the checks currently done by FS when receiving emails for Email Thread to work.

I'll try to get them for you.

Regards,

Hi again.

Not my reply,  but this has what is also on mine and wanted to share with you:

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,