Question

Automatic workflow for shared folder access

• 13 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi everyone

I’m trying to implement a workflow where a user can request the access to a folder through the service catalogue. I was thinking to accomplish it this way:

1. User request and fills in the request form the exact name of the folder i.e., Marketing - this is working
  2. The workflow starts with the AD orchestration “get group” properties managedby - this is working
    I use the field from the request form a syntax and add our groupname prefix
  3. AD orchestration “Get User Details” adding the result from managedby to the name field - this is working
  4. Send email for approval - here I have the issue. How can I accomplish to send an email to the result of the user details. I can take the SAM account name, which is the email address in our case.

Thank your for all your suggestions.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @alephtaph, Are you not able to read from the fields that get added when using an app node in subsequent condition or action nodes? Perhaps you could use the json parser and allocate the SAM account name to a variable that you can access later in the workflow. 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you @zachary.king for your suggestion. Yes, I’m able to read the information. I get what I need, even the email address. The issue is that I can’t use this information to send an email or an approval to.

For the approval cycle, I can only send to manager or to a “freetext” user. I have not the option to select a result from a previous read action.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thank you @zachary.king for your suggestion. Yes, I’m able to read the information. I get what I need, even the email address. The issue is that I can’t use this information to send an email or an approval to.

For the approval cycle, I can only send to manager or to a “freetext” user. I have not the option to select a result from a previous read action.

Oh I see what you mean, yes when using the AD Orchestration app you can not reference the app details when trying to send an approval email. I would suggest letting the product team know about this oversight. Another way to raise awareness about this limitation would be to submit an idea here for us all to upvote.

Hopefully we can get this functionality implemented! Tagging @sanofar.allahpichai to see if she may have another solution.