Solved

Azure Cloud Discovery

• 3 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Question:  For those that use the Azure Cloud Discovery, when a new asset is discovered is there a way to create a workflow automation to capture the Asset Created event?

For each newly created cloud asset I want to trigger an event that sends an email to IT leaders about the new asset.  Also the new asset needs to have fields set.

We have a workflow for engineers to request infrastructure changes, however I’m finding since they have access to create assets they skip the approval process and just create the asset.  The Azure Cloud Discovery picks up the asset during its next scan but I created a simple workflow on Asset Create to set the department for the asset and it is never triggered.  Which made me wonder if assets added by Cloud Discovery would ever hit that event versus an asset being manually created in Freshservice.

icon

Best answer by PatrickMurphy 24 January 2023, 16:59

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Nice little workaround though.  Hopefully they get a bit more verbose on the logging.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Follow up on this.  When a new asset is discovered in the cloud it does not trigger any asset workflow actions.  

For myself I created a location to indicate the cloud Azure Cloud Tenant -  Subscription name every asset is then assigned the location of the subscription. I did this because the URL within the asset is not exposed to be searched to see and filter assets per subscription by adding the location I can.

Then every once in a while I review all assets, filter on Cloud and see which have a location of NONE because they have not been set yet.  This is the only indication that an asset is new.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

The auto discovery when it adds an asset does not seem to trigger the asset created event.

I can try to test setting up when an asset is updated, however if the discovery is not triggering the create event, not sure it would trigger and update as there is no “update” however I will setup that test tomorrow and see if that will capture anything.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Have you tested “Asset is Updated” instead?  Not sure if that would trigger at that point.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi Patrick, 

I would try to do an asset workflow, when asset is created, and condition of asset type includes add all your cloud asset types, (host, virtual machine etc.). 

However i know what you mean about the event not being picked up as it is a system action not a manual event. assuming if you have a workflow not triggering then this might be the case… however, worth trying… 

I would say though that it might be worth enforcing the approval process if there is one..