Question

Best way to link workflows together?

• 13 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I am hoping to have a workflow, kick off another workflow (or a few). Right now, I have been trying to add a tag, then the second workflow sees the update and then checks for the tag. The problem is “System” changes aren’t registering as an official update. Are there better ways to link workflows together? 

Workflow A: Send for approval, after approval adds tag “Provision”
Workflow B: Watches for update, if update made AND tag “Provision” exist, then provision access. 

This allows for less congestion, and I could change the tags to send it Workflow A’s result to different workflows. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @zach.schmidt, Right now we cannot trigger a workflow via a different workflow. But I am told this functionality is being developed and should be available hopefully soon.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Doesn’t the system already work this way.

You have a workflow it does something.

You create a new workflow that looks for something changing on a ticket or service request. When that change is detected do something else?  

For instance I have a workflow that requires manager approval, then business owner of that system approval. Once approved by both parties there may be a series of Tasks that I add.  I’ve created a workflow on Tasks that on task changes do some action.  If I have 5 tasks, on my task workflow if the service request is xxxxx and if task changed was task 5 then I mark the ticket closed. If it is tasks 1-4 I ignore and next time a task is completed it checks again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ah, see Patrick that’s what I was hoping for. I can’t seem to get the second workflow to actually treat the first workflow as a “Update”. Even if I take actions like change the status, etc. Maybe this is a just a support issue if you are saying you can trigger worflows by another workflow waiting for a change. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Have you tested to add a Timer node? it will pause the first WFA and continue with the second.  
You can trigger a second WFA with using API call. 

Example with the timer node. 

Event: New status 
First WFA starts with a timer node. 
Second starts and sets a Tag based on X value 
First WFA continue with a condition to check if the tag was set and do X action. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Doesn’t the system already work this way.

You have a workflow it does something.

You create a new workflow that looks for something changing on a ticket or service request. When that change is detected do something else?  

For instance I have a workflow that requires manager approval, then business owner of that system approval. Once approved by both parties there may be a series of Tasks that I add.  I’ve created a workflow on Tasks that on task changes do some action.  If I have 5 tasks, on my task workflow if the service request is xxxxx and if task changed was task 5 then I mark the ticket closed. If it is tasks 1-4 I ignore and next time a task is completed it checks again.

I wonder if the difference is that you are using a workflow automator that runs on “Tickets” then a workflow that runs on “Tasks”. I mean if I am understanding your workflow correctly. 

I had built two ticket WFAs that were to work in sequential order. The first would make an update to the ticket, let’s say it would change the status of the ticket to pending, then a second ticket workflow was set to be triggered “When a ticket was updated” to add a note. In my mind changing the status of a ticket would be considered an update and would trigger the second WFA. But this does not work from what I can tell, and what I was told by one of Freshworks Technical Account Managers. 

Here is his response: 

If this has changed, that would be awesome. I know we all would like the ability to run sequential workflows. It would up the complexity and capability a ton.

Thanks for sharing your solution though. I will have to try triggering workflows of different types and see if that works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Have you tested to add a Timer node? it will pause the first WFA and continue with the second.  
You can trigger a second WFA with using API call. 

Example with the timer node. 

Event: New status 
First WFA starts with a timer node. 
Second starts and sets a Tag based on X value 
First WFA continue with a condition to check if the tag was set and do X action. 

This is a great idea! Delay the first workflow until the second has done the necessary ticket change. Hmm...I bet I could find a few uses for this. Thanks @daniel.soderlund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@zachary.king But if you use API to update a field or change status it will be a “user” that dose it. 

Can’t be sure I have tested it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

My bad, was a no go on that. Can’t be triggered with API 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My bad, was a no go on that. Can’t be triggered with API 

Thanks for testing it out for us