Question

Closing ticket before approved

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

How do you handle tickets being closed when they are pending approval?

The issue is when there are multiple approvals and 1 person approved and 1 is requested, if you close or resolve, the ticket it ultimately becomes cancelled and who ever did not respond to the approval is cancelled.

Is there a rule to not allow ticket closure if approval is pending? Maybe there should be a toast message pop-up that says, “this ticket is pending approval, are you sure you want to close?” or something to that nature.  

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @BryceK, are you saying that if an agent closes the ticket by accident it cancels the remaining approvals? Or is once there is any successful approval the ticket is closed and that action is canceling any pending approvals?

I can tell you that there isn’t anything preventing the closing of tickets even with pending approvals. And I have not seen any warning message regarding the remainder of pending approvals. I would agree that this seems like it would help prevent premature closing of tickets with unanswered approvals. But, at this point, it is most likely going to be a training issue. Perhaps you can add a special status that indicates the ticket is awaiting approval or rejection. Another option would be to build a workflow automator that handles operations on these tickets and train Agents to remain hands off until all approvals have been answered.

But regarding your toast notification I would add that here to get others to upvote and it and have it presented to the product team. 

Hope this helps some! Take care.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello Zach, 

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I was referring to an agent prematurely closing a ticket that is in pending approval. At a ticket glance you cannot view ticket approval status; if an agent is updating status without opening the ticket, they would not know its pending. I like your idea of the custom status, pending approval, as well and it would take care of that issue. 

I have chalked it up to a training issue as well but was curious if there was a way to actually prevent this and have the agent cancel the approval first and then resolve/close ticket.

Thanks,

Bryce

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hey @BryceK, currently the thought process is to empower the agent with ownership over the ticket and it’s actions. Basically saying if an Agent thinks a ticket needs to be resolved then let them resolve/close it.

Another not so elegant option that may prevent the premature closing of tickets could be creating a custom “Required for closing” ticket field that the agents have to update before closing the ticket, that reminds them to look at approvals and annotate all requirements have been met to close the ticket. Not filling in and/or selecting appropriate option in that field would prevent the ticket from closing.

You could then use business rules for forms to make this field visible on selected tickets and/or to selected agents.

Just a thought :)