Question

Different between tickets and service requests.

• 18 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

What is the different between tickets and service requests? Is service request a specific category of ticket?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What is the different between tickets and service requests? Is service request a specific category of ticket?

More different type and they have different features as well. 
With a Service request you can add a service item ( something that you order ) and approvers. 
You can switch between the 2 types on the right side 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @Undertone9789 If you are strictly referring to Freshservice then “Ticket” encompasses both a Service Request and an Incident. But, if you are asking for a definition than Service Requests are used as a way for end users to make requests to the service desk for specific service items (ex. purchase a laptop, gain remote access, install software, onboard an employee). Often these are raised from the frontend Support Portal where endusers can track the progress of their requests.

The other ticket type is an “Incident” and these tickets are usually associated to support requests. (ex. my laptop won’t turn on, printer doesn’t work, can’t access my email) These are your more “Break-Fix” type tickets. These also can be raised by end users through the Support Portal, or generated by agents when the get a support phone call.

Hope that helps you see the difference.

Take care!

Badge

OK, how do I setup Freshservice such that when user request for a service request, the corresponding ticket field are being filled in? It seems that the service item cannot sync filled-in information with ticket field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

OK, how do I setup Freshservice such that when user request for a service request, the corresponding ticket field are being filled in? It seems that the service item cannot sync filled-in information with ticket field.

You could with API and a Automated workflow to match the fields you have in your Service item with fields you have in your ticket field form. What is your goal with doing that ? 

Badge

Both incident and service request use same set of ticket fields. However some part of ticket field is set to mandatory and how can I set that for each service item the ticket field will be set based on user selection?

For example I have a mandatory dependent field of category - subcategory - item.

Service Item of Adobe Sign with custom drop down field selected “Renew” will set the category to “Software”, subcategory to “Adobe sign”, item to “Renew”.

It would be a hassle if our agents have to manually fill in the fields for service requests before closing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Both incident and service request use same set of ticket fields. However some part of ticket field is set to mandatory and how can I set that for each service item the ticket field will be set based on user selection?

For example I have a mandatory dependent field of category - subcategory - item.

Service Item of Adobe Sign with custom drop down field selected “Renew” will set the category to “Software”, subcategory to “Adobe sign”, item to “Renew”.

It would be a hassle if our agents have to manually fill in the fields for service requests before closing.

Only way I know to do this is with Custom Object, do you have Pro license?
Or setup the specific category on each service item and the requester need to select them. 
Then you can use API to get the values and set category. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @Undertone9789, just for some clarity...what do you want the process to look like? You can always use workflow automators to automate the filling in of “Ticket" properties. And remember in freshservice, a ticket is both a service request and an incident. From the support portal what would the end user do to renew their adobe license? Would they click “New Ticket” and raise an incident or would they select a Service Item and raise a Service Request?

If it is an incident then you can use a workflow to isolate those tickets and set the category - subcategory -item through automation. 

If it a service request you can do the exact same thing just set your tigger to be “Service Request is raised”, you don’t need to include the category fields in a “Service Item” those fields are ticket properties and therefor will be a field you can edit for either Incidents are Service requests.

If you are trying to take a Service Request and turn it into an incident you can technically do that too but simply changing the “Type” ticket property.

I’m sorry if I am misunderstanding your usecase, or have complicated your understanding. Hope this helps. Take care.