Question

Editing Service Request after Rejection

• 18 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

In reviewing the ability for requesters to edit a service request after an approver has rejected a request, once the requester edits the service request, the approver doesn’t have the ability to now Approve it.  On the Agent side it shows as rejected and the field is not editable. 

How can I structure the service request to have the Approver be able to review the changes and Approve/Reject the service request?  I’d also like to have this automated so the Agent would get the alert that changes were made and they receive a new approval alert. 

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

For us as a small company with few employees, requiring compliance and an audit trail while trying to keep things simple: I would require the user to resubmit the Service Request with the corrected action.

My first thoughts are more on process and compliance that if I setup some business rules to reset the service request, would I loose the key data that the user submitted the original with an issue that led to an action for rejection. I would want to still track their request was rejected.

By having them file a corrected one I’m now able to have a record of a rejection with documented information and approval based on corrected information. While this isn’t convenient to the end user it helps me maintain compliance for future auditing.

Just my thoughts.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello Patrick,

I complete understand your thoughts on process and compliance and I agree in part.  Freshservice has a rolled out a feature that allows the requester to edit a service request that was rejected. This may have been an oversight by Freshservice, but how can you allow the requester to edit a service request and not have the approver be alerted to the edit and change the rejection to an approval. What was the purpose of adding the feature?

Also, you should be able to follow a rejection that was not approved with the same documentation processes that you would have with a rejection and new submission.  In my scenario documentation is essential too. Once the rejection is selected, a note is autopopulated in the service request.  I’d like to also have a note populate once the fields are edited, giving the agent and approver a heads up of the modifications made. For auditing it can give you twice the work if you have 2 service request to record, the one rejection and the new one, whereas in the other scenario you can track rejections that remain in that status vs rejections that where then modified to meet approval. I guess you can look at it both ways.  I still circle back to the initial question of why was the rejection/edit feature introduced if there isn’t a mechanism for the same approver to change their rejection to an approval?

I appreciate your feedback.