Question

Employee Onboarding - Send Email?

• 22 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi there,

I’m trying to figure out a way to set up Employee onboarding so that the person filling out the form declares a supervisor and then the supervisor gets an email giving them a heads up that a new onboarding request has been submitted, and that they can go to the service catalog to set up any additional services needed.

The problem:

• We could add the supervisor as a stakeholder, and setup a kit but we don’t want the user creation process being held up by waiting for an approval/additional info from the supervisor.
  • The thought is after the workflow orchestration does everything, we have a Send Email to action at the end to send an email to the supervisors email, but unfortunately that action doesn’t allow placeholders in the to field.

I could get around the issue by using powershell, but I wanted to see if there was something I was missing and an easier way to go about it.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

You could enable auto ticket approval which would allow the requests to come in. As far as your second point… placeholders in fields. Custom objects might work for you. Can you elaborate on your second point. What placeholders are you trying to include in a workflow?

So I did try the setup with an additional stakeholder which is the supervisor. I had auto approve tickets turned on, but when the person submits the employee onboarding process, it still lists the supervisor stakeholder as awaiting information. The person who was the stakeholder gets an email to click into the process to add more information (which there isn’t more to add).

I’m essentially just trying to find a way to email the supervisor of the new employee being submitted, without the whole process being held up.

The placeholder I’m trying to include is the Supervisor field, which is set on the employee onboarding form. When you go to create an action to send an email, you actually can’t pick any placeholders from the employee onboarding form. There is a Reporting Manager, but I believe that is the reporting manager of the person submitting the form.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @marruda , one way you can send an email to a user is by choosing the supervisor in the onboarding request through a service item and not the main onboarding form.

Make a service item mandatory and add a dropdown field called supervisor with requester source. This field can be used in the send email to option by choosing service items from the dropdown and choosing the field from that service item. 

Hi Glavin, you are correct. I was able to recreate the same process with a Service Item and got it all works. For now I think I’m going to use the main onboarding system. Not being able to send the supervisor an email with the built in Send Email To action isn’t a deal breaker, its just a pain.

For now I’m not going to worry about it, and if it becomes a need, I can always accomplish it using powershell. It would just be easier to be able to use the built in action if possible.

Hi All,

We are using a service account for the Onboarding ticket creation. This means that the current “user” doesn’t have a reporting manager. 

We would like to send emails and confirmations to the hiring manager, but the new person is not yet a requester in the system and the account running the request workflow has no reporting manager. Sending TO: doesn’t seem to have appropriate placeholder fields.

Worst case we may resort to using the API, just trying to get input from you all!

GEON

@Glavin Crasta Thank you for sharing this workaround. I created the extra item and created a field supervisor. However, I don’t see the option to send to this field when choosing send email to. Which action did you choose to send the email to this item? Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Could you check this 

@Glavin Crasta I found it. I was looking for it from the task view on the parent ticket. I guess it is only available under tickets. I was hoping to get an email sent once the task is completed but doesn’t seem like it supports service fields from the task side.