Question

Extra complex on-boarding form

• 10 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Team,

Currently, our on-boarding form is… an e-mail.

There are a lot of fields in it, some answers should be conditional, depending on previous fields, some fields should be dynamic dropdown lists (e.g. who will be the manager? Which will be the department) where choices come from external systems, etc.

Obviously, I would like to create something better than an email where I can make no control (and most of the time, forms are incomplete, incoherent...) but I found no way to build directly in Freshservice such complex forms…

So, imagine I would be able to construct some external services that dynamically builds an html+js form, how could I integrate it to Freshservice so that I could activate all the automation power of Freshservice to create AD records, sub-tickets and so on for our onboarding process?

Thank you for your ideas!

Jérôme

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi Jerome, 

the onboarding process is very complex for each business as it varies from one business to another..

The system does allow you to have “dynamic” questions conditional on the the previous question. so that should not be a problem. however there are some questions that you cannot make conditional. (departments being one of them). however in the case you have given above, does it really matter that they could select a manager from another department? you might have to put some trust into the person filling in the form they have the correct data??

You can have dynamic drop downs based on departments, users, Locations, Assets and prebuilt custom tables. The trick will be updating from external systems and unless you have an API from that system it will have to be a manual effort. 

All in all i think that the system should be configurable so that you can get the information that you need, you just might need to be a bit creative and also accept some limitations that the user will have to do.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I struggled with the same, not struggled with technology but more the business process.

I have implemented a custom object that has every role, who defines that role, what department that role is for.  As well I have a separate custom object for departments that are mapped to all the departments HR and Finance use as well as our active directory.

So on my onboarding form is below User Type is Employee or Contractor. They can chose where to ship equipment to, one of our offices or the employees home.

Department , Role/Title, Manager all related to a data source either FreshService object or Custom Object. There really isnt a way to pick department then show only roles related to that department. So as @afautley said there just has to be some common sense by HR inputting the tickets.

We decided not to use the onboarding module in FreshService to build kits yet because (a) the business can’t define what is required per role (b) we onboard so few users it isn’t work the effort for us and 90% of the employees get the same stuff so we just do it in the workflow.

There are some roles that once the onboarding service request is entered and the user created a manager needs to go in and request 4-5 separate software like which VOIP solution and license, access to our production software (pick which roles as they are not modeled to job titles) those would complicate the onboarding process. For us HR is the only one that can submit onboarding service request, manager then has some responsibility to request software entitlements prior to new hire start.

One obvious gap is what if there is a new role not added to our custom object table ….. yes we did that on purpose as it takes the business 60 plus days to write the job description, post a position, find candidates.  We felt that some where in 60 days they should be able to notify IT of a new role to add so we can talk about entitlements ahead of time and map to other fields and systems. Originally we had an OTHER role but removed it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks @afaultey and @PatrickMurphy for your sharing 👍
I’m going to start building a v0 to see where I’m going and if I need additional help.

Other readers: don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, too 😉