Solved

Get more then one record from a custom object

• 29 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello, 

What I have seen using the Custom Object node in a WFA you only get 1 record. 
Anyone has a solution to get more then one ? 
Example you have CO with all your softwares and you need all adobe software to add a user to AD groups that each adobe applications the is associated too.
I have a multi drop down field in my service item that the requester select the applications the new users needs. 

Can be one application with several access levels and each level have a dedicated AD group. 

icon

Best answer by PatrickMurphy 30 August 2022, 19:43

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @daniel.soderlund it is my understanding that its intended use is to retrieve a single record. And if the query parameters would return more than one record the first one return will be the result value. I have found this to be limiting as well. I am curious if anyone has found a way to work with this situation.

Take care!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You can list all records using the API but no way to manage the JSON in a dynamic way. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I have created an CO with each application individually that has a separate business owner (to approve the request) and separate Azure AD Security Group ObjectID and Name. For now I’ve kept them 1:1 I’ve not tried to create a service catalog that allows a user to request multiple applications which is what I’m assuming you have done.  If you allow them to just select Adobe but on the backend you are giving them several adobe applications I suppose you can use the workflow to read the CO or just hardcode the request with a condition that if adobe is selected then set several actions to add the user.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have created an CO with each application individually that has a separate business owner (to approve the request) and separate Azure AD Security Group ObjectID and Name. For now I’ve kept them 1:1 I’ve not tried to create a service catalog that allows a user to request multiple applications which is what I’m assuming you have done.  If you allow them to just select Adobe but on the backend you are giving them several adobe applications I suppose you can use the workflow to read the CO or just hardcode the request with a condition that if adobe is selected then set several actions to add the user.

This would probably be the best way to handle it under the current conditions. But it would be nice if you could get back a list of results from a Custom Object and then filter the list allowing for additional field “Types” to be accessible in the reader node.

Also, it is difficult to use Custom Objects at scale when trying to set Lookup Fields as Identity fields that reference other custom objects. Those fields don’t have the same functionality in WFA unfortunately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

We do that in general as well, I have a bir more advanced version with 2 CO. One with the application info, category , assignment group etc and one with the different approvers. Use case is that if you have manager then the application owner that needs to approve or the over way around. If several named approvers is needed.  One WFA to handle the “loop”. 

Having one service per access level in like SAP or any other large system could be hazel to manage. I know I can bundle them but still need to have each 1:1 in the CO. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

This conversation pulls me back to my SQL days and wondering if this is the type of thing to develop outside the platform objects but create an API to pull the information and filter it the way we want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

This conversation pulls me back to my SQL days and wondering if this is the type of thing to develop outside the platform objects but create an API to pull the information and filter it the way we want.

This is a great idea, and may be something we might have to look into doing. Might be harder for smaller organizations but APIs are extremely powerful and could add a large amount of functionality with in WFA.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We are trying to use custom objects as look up fields for customers to select their product from. For example a customer may have 12 bespoke products with us and need to withdraw one of them. We thought they could do this by adding a look up field for them to select the right product and submit a ticket (ie we have a form called Product Withdrawal). However the UE is poor. They have to type in exactly what that product is called. As they start typing the CO’s that match do start appearing, however, only 3? so no use if they want to presented with the whole list of 12 and slect from there. I have been told by Freshdesk that this is the way it works and no work around. I am wondering if using a drop down ticket field instead would work instead.