Question

Hide/Disable the Reply Box on the Support Portal when ticket is closed

• 15 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is there a way to Disable/Hide the Reply box on the support Portal when the ticket Status is closed?

I can setup a workflow that to send email to customer when user adds comment on the closed ticket. But that’s a secondary. Primarily, user should not able of reply on a closed ticket or the REPLY box should be disabled or hidden.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I’ve had a quick look and there is nothing under business rules, that is where i would expect that to be. Might have to be a portal customisation?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello @afautley 

Yes, I did check the Business Rules first. There is nothing there.

I Just got the response from the Support saying:

on the ticket we can only remove the option for all requesters, but cannot restrict this on closed tickets alone. Else, we can stop the existing ticket from being reopened and have this reply created as a separate ticket through a workflow.

This is insane. Freshservice calls the product is ITIL based. However, this is very very basic feature. The Only reason an enterprises goes for the ITSM portal is to track the incidents and requests along with how many times the repetitive incident was raised. If we can’t disable the reply box after the ticket is closed, it creates lot of issues like:

• what if instead of raising a new incident, user end up replying on the old closed ticket, this will affect not just the count of incidents but will be difficult to track the repetitive issues.
  • It will affect the SLA if the ticket gets reopened.
  • It will also be difficult for a new Agent to track the notes of past and current issue.

I am absolutely disappointed with the solution, as it is lacking the basic feature.

with that said, as i don’t have much experience in customization, @afautley - do you have an script of way to customize this in the requester portal, based on the current status of the ticket the reply box gets disabled?

Any help will be appreciated.

Awaiting response.

Thanks, 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi,

Unfortunately i do not, we done a little bit of portal customisation at the beginning of us signing up to freshservice but its more of a one of thing done a while ago. 

I understand your frustrations as there are some simple things that get limited in the product when there is no need. However i do feel being able to reopen tickets is a good feature, otherwise how do people reopen a ticket they feel is not completed? To question the product being ITIL based is a little bit too much for me, it is an ITIL based product.

I would suggest creating anew post as an Idea on this forum with your idea of being able to stop the ability of replying to a ticket if closed. (or at all). then maybe have a chat with your CSM who might be able to help pursue this. 

Good luck in your venture

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@FSEnthu 

This isn’t a full solution to what you are looking for, but I have my portal set to only re-open tickets if replies are sent while the status is anything other than Closed.

If a user replies to a closed ticket the ticket stays closed, and they get an automatic response email that says something like “this ticket is closed, please submit a new ticket.” This is done in my Workflow Automator for ticket replies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@FSEnthu

This isn’t a full solution to what you are looking for, but I have my portal set to only re-open tickets if replies are sent while the status is anything other than Closed.

If a user replies to a closed ticket the ticket stays closed, and they get an automatic response email that says something like “this ticket is closed, please submit a new ticket.” This is done in my Workflow Automator for ticket replies.

This is a great workaround that also works to train the requesters to simply raise new requests through the portal. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi!

Coming in a little late here but not sure if this has been solved or not. I ran into this case yesterday when a user re-opened a ticket that had been closed 6 months ago to ask for some modification instead of opening a new ticket. We manually had to split the ticket into a new one. We have the re-open ticket with requester reply automator enabled.

The way I solved this was by adding a supervisor rule that checks tickets with closed status and hours since closed time to be 28 days (since the supervisor rules only run on tickets updated within the last 30 days) and tag them. Then on the re-open ticket automator I just added a condition to check if the ticket has the tag or not, if it does then it has been permanently closed and a notification is sent to the requester to open a new ticket. We also have a business rule that all closed tickets can’t be modified or updated.

Just thought I’d leave this workaround here in case anyone else is experiencing the same scenario.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Again, the only work around i found is a workflow, that checkes if a ticket is closed and sends a reply to the end user by mail saying the ticket is closed. its the only option i could find