Question

How can I get all Employee Onboarding fields (workflow or API)?

• 22 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello!

Our employee onboarding process is just HR → Reporting Manager, asking each for information.  However, the display of the collected information in the ticket is a little… lacking (it’s a two-column layout, not easy to set the order, paragraph fields are collapsed into a single line...)

I set up a workflow to add a private note to the ticket with the fields we want in the format we want… it works great for most fields, but not all of the fields are available as placeholders - the paragraph fields are not listed as options.

I decided to see if we could pull the fields from the API instead, but no luck.
Pulling from https://[domain].freshservice.com/api/v2/onboarding_requests/[num] the ‘fields’ objects lists the fields (including the paragraph fields), but only the ones for the HR step - none of the Reporting Manager-filled fields are included.

So my questions are…

• Is there a way to access onboarding paragraph field placeholders within a workflow? or
  • Is there a way to pull ALL (HR and Reporting Manager) onboarding fields via the API?

2 replies

Hi Mike, I am having exactly the same issue as you.

Did you get anywhere with the API calls?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi there!  No luck.

What we ended up doing is…

• Using a workflow rule that takes all of the available fields (so, minus the paragraph fields) and sets the description of the ticket via an API call to make it looks nice for those fields.
  • Then in the Onboarding setup (in the ticket creation section), we set it to display only the paragraph fields.

The end result is we get the majority of the fields formatted how we want at the top, then underneath we get the paragraph fields (which we don’t have any control how they show up, but we only have two of them so it’s manageable).

So we wind up with something like this: