Question

How can I go back to the planning stage after a rejected approval in a change?

• 5 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello!

If a change is requested for approval, and then rejected, we cannot then request approval again or even close the ticket. I would like to set up the workflow to do this. I have tried doing something like this: 

But it only lets me set the status back to awaiting approval, it does not allow me to actually overwrite the rejection and send the approval to the same person. 

How do I overwrite that rejection/cancel the rejection and either set to close or set to awaiting approval (and subsequently sending the approval request again)?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi,

I’ve not tested this but,

I’m guessing it only lets you set to “Awaiting Approval” because of rules you have in your change cycle only let you go there. Perhaps in the change cycle allow it to go from Awaiting approval to Planning

Then the workflow might take affect…

Then you can get your agent to review the change and resubmit again…

Something i might look into as i have not set this up either but would be good to do. When i get time to look into it i will get back to you if i find anything else myself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @WQOlivia, to accomplish what you are looking for you need to make adjustments to your Change Lifecycles based on the type of Change it is (ex. Standard, Minor, Major). There you should be able to allow changes to transition to different stages, and even require certain criteria be met to do so. Also changes do allow you to request approval more than once. If yours are not letting you do this I would suggest you reach out to support@freshservice.com to make sure your instance is functioning correctly.

Here you can see the request was rejected and I have the option to move it back to planning stage.

And under the same rejected change, I can now request approval again and then continue on in the change lifecycle

To do so I modified our change lifecycle to allow transitions to include planning and closed from the “Awaiting Approval” stage

From here you can look at including workflow automators to automate some of these processes.

Hope that helps! Take care

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello @WQOlivia, to accomplish what you are looking for you need to make adjustments to your Change Lifecycles based on the type of Change it is (ex. Standard, Minor, Major). There you should be able to allow changes to transition to different stages, and even require certain criteria be met to do so. Also changes do allow you to request approval more than once. If yours are not letting you do this I would suggest you reach out to support@freshservice.com to make sure your instance is functioning correctly.

Here you can see the request was rejected and I have the option to move it back to planning stage.

And under the same rejected change, I can now request approval again and then continue on in the change lifecycle

To do so I modified our change lifecycle to allow transitions to include planning and closed from the “Awaiting Approval” stage

From here you can look at including workflow automators to automate some of these processes.

This very much helps, my only issue is that when testing and going back to “Awaiting approval” it seems to not resend the approval to the person who rejected it. Does yours actually resend an approval request to that rejected approver?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @WQOlivia, to accomplish what you are looking for you need to make adjustments to your Change Lifecycles based on the type of Change it is (ex. Standard, Minor, Major). There you should be able to allow changes to transition to different stages, and even require certain criteria be met to do so. Also changes do allow you to request approval more than once. If yours are not letting you do this I would suggest you reach out to support@freshservice.com to make sure your instance is functioning correctly.

This very much helps, my only issue is that when testing and going back to “Awaiting approval” it seems to not resend the approval to the person who rejected it. Does yours actually resend an approval request to that rejected approver?

No it does not automatically do that, you would need to select the correct CAB and the correct approver. I am not sure if there is a way to automate that process, as I have not tried it. You could look and see if there is a way to use a change workflow automator that is triggered when you move the change back to “Planning” that would then generate the necessary approval.