ITOM Video Series

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Featured Influencer
  • 407 replies

We’ve created some ITOM videos for Freshservice customers (or for anyone really). Hopefully, they’re a good introduction for anyone seeking to understand more about the benefits of IT Operations Management capabilities.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thank you for all your hard work @manns! Its nice learning these concepts from a true expert. Keep up the good work 💪

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks Zach. I know enough about ITOM but I’m no expert. I know far more about ITSM and ESM which we’re doing some more videos on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is such a wonderful initiative! Thank you @manns for sharing your knowledge with us. Looking forward to the other videos in this series :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is such a wonderful initiative! Thank you @manns for sharing your knowledge with us. Looking forward to the other videos in this series :)

Thanks @rashmi.nag - we’ve three ESM video written and scheduled to record in the next few weeks too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @manns, in your “What is ITOM” video, you mentioned the different ways to look at ITOM against ITSM best practices. I was curious what your suggestions are regarding this view. In reference to a medium sized organization currently using Freshservice ITSM software, who are working to adhere to ITIL 4 best practices, how should we approach ITOM and incorporating it to better manage are IT Infrastructure? I am sure this fairly broad but just felt like picking your brain a little 😊

Take care!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @zachary.king I think I say the following is video #5 on ITOM tool selection - that using the native ITOM capabilities available in some ITSM tools is a good way to “test the water.”

It makes it easier for your organization to add ITOM capabilities without the expense of introducing a completely new toolset. As you see the benefit, you can either grow with the ITSM tool, as more ITOM capabilities are added, or invest in a separate ITOM toolset to meet higher maturity needs.

There are so many benefits from using AI-enabled technology to understand how the IT infrastructure (including applications and devices) is working, or not, that it’s the way the market is moving (including the “prevention rather than cure” approach). It also moves an organization along in getting to the opportunity to consider digital employee experience management capabilities (many of these new tools come from an ITOM software lineage).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @zachary.king I think I say the following is video #5 on ITOM tool selection - that using the native ITOM capabilities available in some ITSM tools is a good way to “test the water.”

It makes it easier for your organization to add ITOM capabilities without the expense of introducing a completely new toolset. As you see the benefit, you can either grow with the ITSM tool, as more ITOM capabilities are added, or invest in a separate ITOM toolset to meet higher maturity needs.

There are so many benefits from using AI-enabled technology to understand how the IT infrastructure (including applications and devices) is working, or not, that it’s the way the market is moving (including the “prevention rather than cure” approach). It also moves an organization along in getting to the opportunity to consider digital employee experience management capabilities (many of these new tools come from an ITOM software lineage).

Thanks Stephen, really appreciate the breakdown. I guess I got a little too eager and should have finished the video series first lol. We are starting to integrate more and more functionality from the ITSM tools that we currently use, and I am looking for ways to seamless transition to a platform that could potentially consolidate those tools. Service Desk management was the first piece and we have established that in freshservice with our service catalog and incident management. Next we have brought in Employee Onboarding as a way to start looking at ESM. Next on the list is Change Enablement and Problem Management. 

But in step with those it makes sense to look at Alert Management as well. This would give us a broader look at our IT infrastructure and its health all in one platform. At least that is my initiative. :)