Question

JIRA integration comment issues

• 20 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi

Logging this here to see if anybody has had this problem before and if they found a fix or workaround. We did log a ticket to Freshworks directly but seem to have come to a dead end but also no real idea why this happens. 

So this relates to the JIRA add on that links from FS to jira. We use JIRA for development and so some tickets get linked into JIRA and await  updates. 

The problem we have is that when updates come through they are pulling my name as the person who is updating from JIRA when it is not me and the email addresses and accounts do not match so for some reason it is showing my FS account as the updater which can get confusing. 

Also the linked account on API to the JIRA area is a generic account we created but it does not pull from that one. 

We did try a little work around which was to change my main account in FS to a generic IT admin account and this worked briefly but when i then created a brand new account in FS with my name Martin DG it found that one again and took over for the comments from JIRA. 

Additionally when we actually deactivated these accounts which were org admin ones it then moved onto one of my colleagues names but they are not an org admin. 

It seems that for some reason FS is pulling names in some sort of order to link as the updater name for JIRA comments. 

We were told this could be fixed by everyone having open profiles in JIRA but this would not work well as the logins for FS are different for JIRA and so would create a new account in FS, we tested this. 

I hope this might make some sense but basically we wanted to see if there was a way of fixing thsi issue as it is very confusing when updates are added in JIRA it is showing as me posting the updates when this is false. 

@Chris.W  had reported this before to FreshWorks 

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I am  not a user in Jira.  The users in Jira are not freshservice agents. We linked the two together an every comment update from Jira as you state has my name on every comment. I had yet to research more of this.  Maybe what I’m experiencing is the expected behavior given the Jira team isnt in FreshService but I am.  The only reason I care is because as we go through a weekly ticket review, I get asked what those updates means as people assume the update came from myself which it did not. Even just a freshworks generic integration account to indicate it is a system integration thing would be good with the Jira users name appended to the update would work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @MartinDG, I have not installed this integration, but was curious if you are referring to the Jira Import for FS Projects, or the Jira Orchestration Application? My experience with incorrect naming associations for applications usually stems from the agent API Key that was used to install the application. Like you, we were basically forced to allocate an Admin Agent license to a “Helpdesk” account so that any application that made ticket changes or additions via an app or API used that API Key and indicated the ticket was updated by the “Helpdesk”. Not sure if the API Key is the cause for your situation but thought I would share what I have experienced. Take care!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I am  not a user in Jira.  The users in Jira are not freshservice agents. We linked the two together an every comment update from Jira as you state has my name on every comment. I had yet to research more of this.  Maybe what I’m experiencing is the expected behavior given the Jira team isnt in FreshService but I am.  The only reason I care is because as we go through a weekly ticket review, I get asked what those updates means as people assume the update came from myself which it did not. Even just a freshworks generic integration account to indicate it is a system integration thing would be good with the Jira users name appended to the update would work.

yes this is the exact issue i have and it gets very confusing as some think i am commenting. We did ask if there was a way of having a generic name and we did try creating one but then it defaulted back to name. The interesting thing is that the API account we created and linked was the name we thought it would use but it did not. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hello @MartinDG, I have not installed this integration, but was curious if you are referring to the Jira Import for FS Projects, or the Jira Orchestration Application? My experience with incorrect naming associations for applications usually stems from the agent API Key that was used to install the application. Like you, we were basically forced to allocate an Admin Agent license to a “Helpdesk” account so that any application that made ticket changes or additions via an app or API used that API Key and indicated the ticket was updated by the “Helpdesk”. Not sure if the API Key is the cause for your situation but thought I would share what I have experienced. Take care!

So this is through the Atlassian JIRA app 

interestingly, I’ve had a look at the config and there is no API token key in FS but a webhook url. I’ll need to look at this again with my team member who worked with me setting it up. 

Found the Atlassian Jira App pulls the Account Admin account to make the comment. When someone comments on the Jira ticket, the comment is made on the linked Freshservice ticket as the Account Admin, specifically the Account Admin who is listed at the bottom of the list. The name of our API account is “Freshservice Jira Integration”, I changed the name to “ZFreshservice Jira Integration” and is now listed at the bottom of the Account Admin role, comments are now being added on all Freshservice tickets coming from “ZFreshservice Jira Integration”.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Found the Atlassian Jira App pulls the Account Admin account to make the comment. When someone comments on the Jira ticket, the comment is made on the linked Freshservice ticket as the Account Admin, specifically the Account Admin who is listed at the bottom of the list. The name of our API account is “Freshservice Jira Integration”, I changed the name to “ZFreshservice Jira Integration” and is now listed at the bottom of the Account Admin role, comments are now being added on all Freshservice tickets coming from “ZFreshservice Jira Integration”.

Hi

Thanks for this, we’ve tested what you have put and that does look like it might work. It’s not perfect but certainly looks better than an individuals name appearing on every ticket.