Question

Looking For Solution to Bulk Update Tickets with Blank Field

• 20 September 2021
  • 13 replies

I am currently looking for a solution to bulk update ticket with a blank field under the field “Departments”. It seems that the current way the ticket page is setup that there is no way to just view these tickets. I would like all these tickets to use the department that the requester has, as I bulk updated users recently and would like it to show for previous tickets. 

I have already created a workflow to perform this update after updating the category to a fill in category that will be deleted later. I have about 700 tickets with no department and do not mind going page by page 30 at a time, but I cannot view just these tickets. My current closest view is closed tickets and that presents about 5000. 

The tickets are also older than 30 days. Any suggestions would be welcomed. 

13 replies

i have this issue also, need to bulk update tickets & can only do 1 page a t a time

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

i have this issue also, need to bulk update tickets & can only do 1 page a t a time

Hi, 

Using the “Execute scenario” function, mark all tickets and then run the scenario.
You can have a custom field that is hidden from the agents/requesters that you change using a scenario. That in turn trigger a automation. 

Or create a script that uses the API and loops all tickets. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @DrewErwin 

As mentioned by @Daniel Söderlund, you will be able to update the Department field values using the scenario automation feature. However, you can specify only one department at a time - Placeholders cannot be used. 

Thanks! :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi @DrewErwin ,

You can also try using the Scheduled workflows for this requirement.

In workflow automator (scheduled based), you can setup a specific time when the system should run this automation to update the ticket’s department field same as the requestor’s department field for all the existing previous tickets. Since we cannot add placeholder, so we will have to add multiple condition (one for each dept.) nodes and accordingly update the same in the respective action nodes.

Please find below screenshot for your reference -

Example for scheduled workflow to run an automation on all existing previous tickets to update department field w.r.t the requestor’s department

Ref : https://support.freshservice.com/en/support/solutions/articles/50000004790-introduction-to-scheduled-workflows

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have found using the Freshservice API and either a Python or PowerShell script that I can tweak and execute has proven to be a quick solution for bulk updates. Works great for pulling data too!

Badge +6

What if we don’t have access to API scripts to update things? Is there a way to do this from the user interface?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What if we don’t have access to API scripts to update things? Is there a way to do this from the user interface?

You add a checkbox or field( you can hide it with business rules), you create a scenario automation that updates that checkbox/field. You create a workflow automation(WFA) that has the event on  field updated. That WFA updates the fields you want. 

What you then need to do is to filter out the tickets you want to update select all and use the scenario. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Or as  Surbhi wrote. 

Badge +6

I can still only update as many as it lets me select, correct, 100 at a time?

Is this a scenario or an automation, or a combination?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I can still only update as many as it lets me select, correct, 100 at a time?

Is this a scenario or an automation, or a combination?

No, I guess time based automation has some type of limitation but it’s more then you can select.  

Badge +6

I want to updated old tickets, not new

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I want to updated old tickets, not new

Hello @athomas, yes the solutions that all of us have presented are to help you solve your issue on old tickets. The scheduled workflow solution presented by @Surbhi will not require you to physically select the tickets, it will run on any ticket that passes the conditional block you set. It is a good solution as long as you don’t have a whole lot of departments.

Badge +6

I don’t know how to use FreshService? I don’t think I have that?