Parent Locations don't display data for Children in Reports & Sorting

• 8 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

~Please move to Interest Areas - IT Asset Management. Tried posting there originally, but got an error saying I did not have permissions.~

I have been running into quite a bit of trouble recently regarding locations for assets.

Below is an example of how one might organize their locations. Country - State - City

United States - Alaska - Juneau

United States - Alaska - Anchorage

United States - Alabama - Montgomery

Let’s say I wanted to run a report showing all the assets that are located in Alaska. While you can select the parent location in the filtering option for report, it will not show the data for the child locations. So if there are 50 assets in Juneau, 20 in Anchorage, and you select to filter by Alaska, it will display 0 assets. Each parent location is also treated as a location in itself. So the only way to have assets display under Alaska would be to assign it to that state. It could not be assigned to a child location under that. The same goes for country. If I wanted to sort my assets by country in the asset viewer and selected United States, nothing would be displayed, even if cities and states have assets assigned. The only way that would work would be if you assigned the asset to the parent location, United States, which is basically useless from a management perspective.

Quite frankly, I don’t see any purpose to parent locations in this current state, considering how meaningless it is right now. I was able to create a better system very easily by creating a custom dependent field. It works quite well, the problem is you can’t sort or show in reports custom fields from what I see. It also results in 2 location fields, the default and custom one, which is not ideal, so I would like to stop using it, but currently there’s not a better solution after 1 year of using the Freshservice Asset system.

Is there any timeline for when this will be addressed? This feature seems like it should be easy to implement and should be a basic requirement for any comprehensive asset manager, especially considering that the assets are charged as an add-on.

Thanks! :)

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Any updates regarding this? Is this a known issue? Are there plans to have this fixed? If so, is there an ETA? Thanks!

This is something I’ve been dealing with for a couple of years now.  There’s no real solution I’ve found except to add every single location to the report (or workflow that I use).  It’s time consuming… but it will work if you save it.

I really would love to see it working with parent-child associations as anyone would assume it should.  It makes me wonder what the point of the parent locations are.  If they are only there for display purposes it’s almost nonsensical to go through the hassle.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This is something I’ve been dealing with for a couple of years now.  There’s no real solution I’ve found except to add every single location to the report (or workflow that I use).  It’s time consuming… but it will work if you save it.

I really would love to see it working with parent-child associations as anyone would assume it should.  It makes me wonder what the point of the parent locations are.  If they are only there for display purposes it’s almost nonsensical to go through the hassle.

My thoughts exactly. :) If this is the current behavior, then parent locations should either be dropped or it should be implemented properly, in my opinion.