Question

Releases triggered by change window start time

• 13 November 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi All,

I’m new to Freshservice and I have been trying to get a full end to end workflow to do automatic release deployment based on the change management window.

I can get the release to deploy if I login as an agent and just change the status and trigger an event, but ideally I want it all to be automated and have it triggered based on the change window condition = true. 

What I’m hoping to achieve, not sure if this is possible:

1. Change request is created
  2. Change request is approved, planned start date = Mon 2:00pm (example)
  3. A release is mapped to change request above
  4. A scheduler is looking for changes meeting the condition above
  5. Change condition (planned start date) = Mon 2:00pm
  6. Change event triggers a release deployment 
  7. Release has an automation webhook to post to an api
  8. Deploys release
  9. Api returns response
  10. Closes ticket and sends a notification to the operator that the change was a success

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi freshNoobie,
Welcome to the Freshworks Kudumba

Are you looking to automatically create a new Release# when a Change Window is opened up?
We can use a Workflow Automator (triggered by a Change Update) which would POST a webhook to create a new Release. 

But if I'm not mistaken, you are not only looking to create this Release but also to trigger a webhook based on the Current Date and the Maintenance Window overlapping. 
Currently, we do not have system/date function(s) in our Workflow Automator that can be used as a trigger/condition for this webhook. 

As noted by you, we currently only have listeners that look for Manual Updates to a Release and even System updates to a Release (Example: via another workflow) will not act as triggers. 
Due to this limitation, You would have to manually trigger an update to the Release (I'm thinking a Status Change) either via the UI or via an API call to trigger the Release workflow.

Please do reach out to us at support@freshservice.com if you need any help with setting up the workflows. 

Happy Supporting,
Vish
Team Freshservice