Question

Running multiple workflows at once

• 15 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

First of all, I did take a look at the following thread but I think what I want to do, or better try to achieve, is something different.

I’ve got an approval matrix for purchase orders which is triggered by the event “Service request is raised” and only runs on these tickets. This workflow works perfectly fine.

Now I got the requirement that we need a “priority matrix” for these service requests. Easy said, easy done. Well, no. For the second workflow I used the exact trigger following by the exact same condition (Service request is raised and Ticket Fields.Included Items includes any Purchase Order) but it won’t run.

I even created a scheduled workflow with the exact conditions and it, indeed, does run daily at 1am.

Does anyone have a clue why the second workflow doesn’t start when raising a corresponding service request?

P.S.: I can’t consolidate the two workflows into one because, sadly, non-linear workflow aren’t a thing (yet?) 

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

Maybe the second is locked waiting for the first.

Can you share what do the logs mention?

Quick question based on your last quote:

Can't they be set to run after another?

If so, you could try adding a timer node for a delay in the second at the beginning of it.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If they haven’t changed it, the approval node ( if you have anything after it)  will stop all automations on that ticket. 

Solution is to do noting after the approval node and have a second automation that has a event Approval changed from any to Approved. And do your stuff you need to after it’s approved there. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @erikstr ,

I am actually having this same issue. The problem is being escalated past the normal support and we don’t have an answer yet.

To give a little background, I am trying to create a new hire workflow (we don’t have onboarding set up yet) and I have a service request that people can fill out, and based on what they select in the SR, it is supposed to spawn other service requests. As of now, It stops after executing one workflow and will not execute the other. As Daniel mentioned, it would stop if it had any approvals, but mine do not. Support is at a loss which is why it’s being escalated.

Sorry I couldn’t provide an answer, but once I hear something, I will update here.

Zach

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have actually been dealing with a similar issue in relation to the execution of workflow nodes. My workaround while support looks at it, was to add a timer delay of 60 second, this allowed the previous workflow in order to finish and allowed the data to propagate so that it was available in app nodes of the second workflow. Not the same use case but I think it is similar to what others are mentioning here. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@erikstr  Are you using the web request nodes in your workflow? If you are, try putting a timer on each of your workflows before any web requests take place (Like Zach mentioned). This allowed all of my workflows to kick off before any of the web request nodes could knock the workflows out of whack.

Badge

Hi @erikstr ,

I am actually having this same issue. The problem is being escalated past the normal support and we don’t have an answer yet.

To give a little background, I am trying to create a new hire workflow (we don’t have onboarding set up yet) and I have a service request that people can fill out, and based on what they select in the SR, it is supposed to spawn other service requests. As of now, It stops after executing one workflow and will not execute the other. As Daniel mentioned, it would stop if it had any approvals, but mine do not. Support is at a loss which is why it’s being escalated.

Sorry I couldn’t provide an answer, but once I hear something, I will update here.

Zach

Hi Zach,

thanks for your mental support here :D

Creating an onboarding workflow for new hires is indeed a thing we thought about but not yet started with because the process is okay-ish right now with JIRA and Freshservice communicating over API calls.

Badge

If they haven’t changed it, the approval node ( if you have anything after it)  will stop all automations on that ticket. 

Solution is to do noting after the approval node and have a second automation that has a event Approval changed from any to Approved. And do your stuff you need to after it’s approved there. 

Hi Daniel,

really big thank you for your answer. That’s something I didn’t know but now I know, I can try working around it.

My approval workflow changes the status from “Waiting for Approval” to “Approved” after all approvals are accepted. Does it work when I use this transition as event for the second workflow?

Badge

Hi @zachscott@zachary.king,

thanks! I will try to give it a shot! :)