Question

Schedule tickets using workflow

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can schedule a ticket at specific date and time using workflow?

In our company, HR department use a form to ask us to disable an account in like 2 weeks from now.
So I want to create an action that will schedule a new ticket 1 busine day before this time to make sure we don’t forget it instead of keeping a ticket open for 2-3 weeks.

Thank you so much for your help in advanced

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello, 

Next update will have a time node for workflows. Not sure if it can do what you are asking for. 
A way would assign the ticket to a “hidden” group and when due it’s assigned back with the time node.
Another way could be that the request from HR are closed right away and a time node is added after that. When the WFA continues it creates  a new request using the webrequest node and API 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi,

I am currently try to achieve something similar in our instance using the expression node and a custom state that is called “Waiting”.

Basically, whenever an agent sets a ticket to “Waiting”, a date picker field appears on the ticket where they enter how long the ticket will be waiting. When they update the ticket, a workflow gets triggered that updates the due date of the ticket to the date the agent picked + 1 day (using the expression builder). Since agents exclude the status “Waiting” from their ticket views, these tickets don’t bother them. Obviosuly, agents need to be dilligent with their due tickets and notifications so that they don’t miss the due date. Link to expression builder info:

Also, this messes with the SLAs for the ticket as it overwrites the default times set per the SLAs but if you’re not (yet) very focussed on them, this could be a workaround. Or you could just set up separate SLAs for these kinds of tickets.

I also believe there is a way to just manually update the due date on a ticket, but again, this technically messes up the SLAs of the ticket, so it might not be a good solution for you.

If all else fails: time nodes are coming soon 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I was thinking of suggesting to use the due time as well but the ticket will be open/waiting. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Yeah, I doesn’t want to keep the ticket open/waiting for 2 weeks.

I try to find a way to scedule a ticket.

Schedule is possible manually, by using the sceduler thing: https://example.com/itil/schedules

I want to be able to create it using the workflow.

I think it could be really useful instead of keeping 10+tickets open per month for nothing.

Thank you so much, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

With the new time node and they way I said it should work, 
The SR that trigger the WFA get closed and have a Time node saying 2 weeks. 
After 2 weeks that WFA will create a new ticket(API) or reopen the old one depending how like to do. 
I think it’s the only solution.  But hard to say when the node are not out yet. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

With the new time node and they way I said should work, 
After 2 weeks that WFA will create a new ticket(API) or reopen the old one depending how like to do. 

I will test that at the end of the month when the timer node will be release :)

I let everyone know :)

Thanks for your time

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Personally I would set the due date of the ticket by what date HR picks -1 using an addDays expression in the workflow and have the ticket create under “Pending” status then use a supervisor rule to change the state from Pending to Open once the due date is hit. Also once that sup rule is triggered on changing from pending to open use another workflow to add days to the due date by using addDays('{{current_date_and_time_iso}}',*enter number of days here*) and use that output in the set due date action. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Personally I would set the due date of the ticket by what date HR picks -1 using an addDays expression in the workflow and have the ticket create under “Pending” status then use a supervisor rule to change the state from Pending to Open once the due date is hit. Also once that sup rule is triggered on changing from pending to open use another workflow to add days to the due date by using addDays('{{current_date_and_time_iso}}',*enter number of days here*) and use that output in the set due date action. 

Thats a really good point.
I will do this, but inside supervisor rules, I can only setup actions base on hours for specific status.

I setup a new status that only workflow can choose which named: “temp status”
How I can proceed to change my “temp status” to “open” using supervisor rules.
I am able to setup condition base on the status name and the action, but how I can make Freshservice to detect the change base on the due date?

Thank you so much, 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thats a really good point.
I will do this, but inside supervisor rules, I can only setup actions base on hours for specific status.

I setup a new status that only workflow can choose which named: “temp status”
How I can proceed to change my “temp status” to “open” using supervisor rules.
I am able to setup condition base on the status name and the action, but how I can make Freshservice to detect the change base on the due date?

Thank you so much, 

Use Hours since ticket overdue Is 1. This is as close as we can get right now as the supervisor in fresh runs on an hourly basis. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I love this idea, but the time node is not able to use a field from a form, so its kinda bad :D
Freshservice need to implement that. The timer node is useful right now only to wait 30 minutes before a microsoft sync to apply a licence. Except this, I see nothing useful for us.

Having the time node to use actuel date output from a form would be amazing

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I love this idea, but the time node is not able to use a field from a form, so its kinda bad :D
Freshservice need to implement that. The timer node is useful right now only to wait 30 minutes before a microsoft sync to apply a licence. Except this, I see nothing useful for us.

Having the time node to use actuel date output from a form would be amazing

I have to agree that it would be awesome functionality if we could use date/time fields from forms to set the timer delay. @sanofar.allahpichai can you pass this along to the product team please?

Take care!