Service Catalog Lookup

• 7 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’m looking for suggestions on how to handle a lookup.

I’m creating a workflow for a user to request opening a new position in the company.  Their manager, CEO and CFO must approve the request before sending to HR to process the request.

I currently have a Service Catalog item setup that requests

Business Justification, Manager, Department, Role, Status (Full/Parttime), Type (Employee/Contractor)

I have a custom object table that lists all roles within a department

I would like on the form, when a user selects department to just show the roles defined for that department based on this custom object table. Is this possible?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

you can display the custom object tables on the forms, not sure about filtering them. 

you need to first select an identity field on the Custom object table, 

select your object field you would like to advertise to the business then ticket the “mark as identity field” box

Then it should appear as an option on the “select from data source” of a dropdown field on the service request you have created. 

FYI on the portal for the business it only displays the first 50 on the scroll. but all are searchable if you type the words you need. so we have added “first 50 shown” to the name of the box for a better customer experience.

If you create multiple Custom Object tables for each department then you could setup business rules to hide/show the appropriate boxes on the form. Might get messy though if you have a lot of departments?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes it is a lot of overhead to keep separating objects across different tables if you can’t query the tables. Then your item becomes more complicated because you can’t identify what custom object table would need to be included in the dropdown, unless you have a completely different form customized for each department.  Very high maintenance. I’m hoping there is a better way that I’m just not seeing.

The issue comes down to why show HR roles in IT. When HR isn’t going to hire an IT system administrator.  In the end does it matter?  Sort of because the automation after someone selecting a role, creates groups, adds users to groups, setups up email signatures all the way to granting system permissions based on role.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes it is a lot of overhead to keep separating objects across different tables if you can’t query the tables. Then your item becomes more complicated because you can’t identify what custom object table would need to be included in the dropdown, unless you have a completely different form customized for each department.  Very high maintenance. I’m hoping there is a better way that I’m just not seeing.

The issue comes down to why show HR roles in IT. When HR isn’t going to hire an IT system administrator.  In the end does it matter?  Sort of because the automation after someone selecting a role, creates groups, adds users to groups, setups up email signatures all the way to granting system permissions based on role.

I have brought this exact issue up with the Freshservice Support Team. We have talked extensively about the lack in the ability to scale with custom objects. I think they understand the use cases but I have not heard whether it has gained any traction yet. My hope is that they will take this under advisement as we look to build out more and more complicated workflows that need to focus on the workflow and not standing up instance after instance of a custom object.