Question

Setting up Change Management

• 5 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We implemented Incident mgmt. and I’m now setting up Change Management in FreshService.

I have two challenges at the moment I could use some help with:

1. Approvals at specific phases. So I made a few different workflows such as minor change and major change. They have different phases set up in “Change Lifecycle”. And require different approvals. I set up CAB and other approval groups. To go from one phase to the next I can manually select “request approval” but I want the workflow to automatically add approvals before going to the next phase. So not optional (manually) but mandatory (automatic). In the transition to a next phase I can add a condition that “approvals are approved” but I cannot make it mandatory. In short: how do I add mandatory approvals for transition to the next phase in CM?
  1. Agents can “request for change” on their main page. And they will see all change fields that can/must be filled up. Requesters can only submit a change through the requester portal. There only a few fields are shown. But NOT the fields I want. I made description mandatory in the Field Manager for the Change Field but it does not show up on the portal. Only “Subject” is there. Other fields like Rollout Plan and Backout Plan I don’t want to show to the requester but it is always on the portal page. There is no option to hide it in the Field Manager. I also checked if I could change the fields in Service Desk Rebranding, Customize support portal but that does not work that way. In short: how do I manage the fields shown for change requests in the requester portal?

Please let me know. Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

Hope you’re doing great.

1. Regarding this, sounds like a bug. When you set up Configure Transition - Conditions are satisfied - Requested approvals are approved , this makes it to be approved as mandatory in order to transition to the next step. If it is not working this way, I’d suggest to submit a support case (support@freshservice.com) with your Instance ID data in order they can check if there is anything wrong on your instance.
  2. For field Description, you need to tick also Displayed to requester and Requester can edit in order this field be shown in the requester portal. As per your description, I understand you should also tick Required when submitting the form. Please refer to the next screenshots for help. According to ITIL, rollout plan and backout plan are mandatory, and being FreshService ITIL-compliant and ITIL-based, these fields are mandatory and cannot be set to not mandatory; that’s the reason why you can not hide them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Elvis.

Badge

Hi Elvis,

1. I got the approval working. But… I created TWO approval points in the workflow. and TWO separate CAB groups. First approval is in the beginning of the workflow where someone has to approve the request as a valid CR. After UAT sign off there is a second approval by a release manager to approve the CR for production deployment. During 1st approval you can choose which approval group you want. Also the “wrong” one. But once the CR is approved in the beginning of the workflow, the second approval does not work. The first approval seems to meet the condition that the CR must be approved. In short: I cannot get two separate approvals at different stages by different people to work…
  2. I get this. And indeed I can change which fields are shown to the requester. But I cannot do that with the fields from the “Planning”. Those fields (Impact, Rollout plan and Backout plan) are needed for the CR but filled up by IT at a later stage. No need to show to the requester during CR creation in the portal. See below. No option to change anything in the Field Manager. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi Elvis,

1. I got the approval working. But… I created TWO approval points in the workflow. and TWO separate CAB groups. First approval is in the beginning of the workflow where someone has to approve the request as a valid CR. After UAT sign off there is a second approval by a release manager to approve the CR for production deployment. During 1st approval you can choose which approval group you want. Also the “wrong” one. But once the CR is approved in the beginning of the workflow, the second approval does not work. The first approval seems to meet the condition that the CR must be approved. In short: I cannot get two separate approvals at different stages by different people to work…
  2. I get this. And indeed I can change which fields are shown to the requester. But I cannot do that with the fields from the “Planning”. Those fields (Impact, Rollout plan and Backout plan) are needed for the CR but filled up by IT at a later stage. No need to show to the requester during CR creation in the portal. See below. No option to change anything in the Field Manager. 

Hello @Marc LBBW to satisfy your second query about hiding planning fields from requesters, you can do this using “Business Rules for Forms”. Here is an example

Hope that helps!