Trigger a FS Agent Audit on Macs

I'm wondering which command or script I can invoke to force a new FS-Agent audit. I'd like to be able to refresh my Inventory information at will through a Jamf policy this way.

12 replies

Badge +1

Where did the FS team disappear to?
I know of three independent companies using Freshservice with the exact same problem. There also does not seem to be a way to have the Agents force an audit or force a check-in, like the old SCCm used to have?

Badge

Was there an update on this? We’re starting to deploy to our Macs and I’d like to know what to look out for.

Hello we are starting on this same path and Been hoping there was a WELL documented solution on Synching Mac Laptops with FS Agents. It seems this is still an issue per comment above.

We have opened a ticket and getting run around the last 6 days too. 

Badge +1

This is still a problem after 3 years? I’m unable to get an audit from any macOS devices, Windows works as expected. Solutions?

Hi,

I’m using Freshservice nearly a year but recently come across that devices not detecting in the discovery/inventory portal. fasicnating thing is only mac devices or not showing up on the same. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Shawn,

I understand your point of view. We try to have all our discussions and results posted on the respective forums.

However, we handle specific issues on tickets raised with our support team. Issues related to asset management predominantly require us to get the log files of the Discovery Probe (sometimes the DB file) and Discovery Agent. These files contain information that is specific to an organisation's assets and users, which is sensitive in nature and cannot be shared on a public forum.

Hence, we take it offline and perform the analysis to resolve the issue.

About your point about not posting the fix, we have revamped the internal process around managing our Forums and we are working on being more engaging and posting fixes/resolutions to the issues that are raised here.

I trust this explains things.

Thanks,
Rajagopal

Seems like a lot of people are having this issue. Interesting that we keeping taking the topic offline to support tickets instead of sharing on here what the fix was for each of these cases. 

I found 3 total similar community forum posts, don't know how many cases go directly to support for the same:

https://support.freshservice.com/support/discussions/topics/327550?page=1   10 month old topic

https://support.freshservice.com/support/discussions/topics/50000001537 1 month old topic

https://support.freshservice.com/support/discussions/topics/50000000501 7 month old topic

In our case, being told that the installer will break the agent when run on the same computer more than 1x seems like a very poorly coded application, also have been unable to run "cleanup scripts" and a reinstall to fix the issue still. Hoping for an update this week...

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Shawn,

The 'Last Audit Date' would be updated every time the properties of an asset are updated through discovery tools either the Discovery Probe or the Discovery Agent. If you are seeing that the device information is not being updated can you please share the logs and asset details to support@freshservice.com so our team can assist you on this?

Log folder for Freshservice Discovery Probe: C:\Program Files(x86)\Freshworks\Freshservice Discovery Probe

Log folder for Freshservice Discovery Agent(windows): C:\Program Files (x86)\Freshdesk\Freshservice Discovery Agent\logs

Log folder for Freshservice Discovery Agent(mac):cd /Library/Freshservice/Freshservice-Discovery-Agent/

Please reach out to us by email and our support team would be happy to help

Thanks,

Raj

any resolution to this? we have the same issue

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Robby,

Since this requires further troubleshooting on your end, we have created a support ticket so one of our team members can get in touch with you on this.

We'll keep this thread updated on our findings.

Thanks,

Raj 

Raj I'm not observing updates to "Last Audit Date" no matter which gate we pass through: a change in device information, new software/updated software or 7 days passing. Even a reinstallation of the FS Agent does not update the field. Many of my 

For example, my own Mac hasn't updated since Tue, 9 Jul at 10:10 PM and yet I have installed many new programs, reinstalled the agent and it's been longer than 7 days. On other daily use devices we see audit dates going back many months. 

Are we doing something wrong?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Robby,

Discovery agents would be pushing updates from the installed device into Freshservice automatically. The agent would be checking for any change in device information on a regular interval and push the information into Freshservice if there are any changes with the data that was previously synced. If there are no changes, then the device information would be synced by default for every 7 days.

Apart from the above, If you still need to force sync the information into Freshservice, I would suggest pushing an update to an existing software in the machines which would be picked up by the agent and sync information into Freshservice.

Let us know if you need any further information this.

Thanks,

Raj