Question

Using Knowledge Base\Solutions for Public Portal and IT Wiki

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

We are just beginning to implement Freshservice, and have a question about using Solutions for the Requestor portal, as well as for an internal wiki for agents.  It doesn’t look like we can publish at the Article level, only at the Category level, so is there a recommended way to organize Solutions so that we can share certain articles, without having to duplicate the structure for agent vs requestor viewing?  

For instance, we started to organize by Categories: General Information, Procedures, Forms.  Within Forms, there will be certain Articles for the requestor portal, but other Articles for internal agent use only. 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

I’m not sure if I followed your use case, but when you create a Category, then you create folders.

Those folders can be assigned different viewing permissions:

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Elvis.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Yes, sorry, it was difficult to explain.  Ok, so the view permissions are at the Folder level, not the Category level, I was incorrect.

So, let’s say we have a Category: Software, then a Folder under that for Microsoft Outlook, and in there, an Article: ‘How To Read Email’ meant for end users, and another Article: ‘Exporting PST Files’ meant only for agents. Since we can only set view permissions at the folder level, it seems like we need to build parallel folder structures for Requestors and Agents if we want to keep it cohesive, or maybe I’m just not able to think outside of my little box.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Yes, sorry, it was difficult to explain.  Ok, so the view permissions are at the Folder level, not the Category level, I was incorrect.

So, let’s say we have a Category: Software, then a Folder under that for Microsoft Outlook, and in there, an Article: ‘How To Read Email’ meant for end users, and another Article: ‘Exporting PST Files’ meant only for agents. Since we can only set view permissions at the folder level, it seems like we need to build parallel folder structures for Requestors and Agents if we want to keep it cohesive, or maybe I’m just not able to think outside of my little box.  

We are also looking at the Solutions module and we thinking about the same thing.  Do not want to have to duplicate it because if we made edits we would have to do it in 2 different places.  Did you find a solution this this?