Value Stream Mapping?

• 28 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Featured Influencer
  • 407 replies

One of the improvement practices mentioned a lot at Service Management World is value stream mapping (or value stream management).

Just wondered if people are already using it or if it’s something where a quick share of what it is would be helpful.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I find most people don’t fully understand value stream mapping in general and what it can do for them. 

Right now as an independent consultant I’m doing various projects.  onboarding staff had no defined process so I just mapped out what all stakeholders who are involved with onboarding do and what order and dependencies occur.  Once we had the current state we all looked at it and said WHAT ABOUT to add all the things that were missing or provided inconsistently. Next thing for us is the how do we make it simpler for all involved phase to make things easier.

To me, everything I put into workflows is a value stream effort and mapping.  Business, tell me what you do then I replicate the workflow in freshservice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I find most people don’t fully understand value stream mapping in general and what it can do for them. 

Right now as an independent consultant I’m doing various projects.  onboarding staff had no defined process so I just mapped out what all stakeholders who are involved with onboarding do and what order and dependencies occur.  Once we had the current state we all looked at it and said WHAT ABOUT to add all the things that were missing or provided inconsistently. Next thing for us is the how do we make it simpler for all involved phase to make things easier.

To me, everything I put into workflows is a value stream effort and mapping.  Business, tell me what you do then I replicate the workflow in freshservice.

Thanks for the insight @PatrickMurphy … I agree that it’s still too little known in the ITSM space.