Question

Variable output based on multiple selection dropdown - Automator

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a scenario where a user may submit a request that has upwards of 10-15 items selected in a multi-dropdown.

Is it possible to use the workflow automator, or otherwise, to have a combination of content sent back the requester based on their selections.

For example say user selects options 1-2-3 and 6 from my multi-dropdown that has 10 options.  Options 1 and 2 require information sent back to the requester and options 1,2,3, and 6 will all populate content in the ticket itself.

Is it possible for automator to compile that information and send in a single response?  Even if its multiple responses I just need them all to be delivered to the requester.  If I add a condition with each option will it cascade through all of them?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You should look at Liquid filter.

Truthy and falsy – Liquid template language (shopify.github.io)

In a send mail to user action node you can add something like this 

Hello

{% {{placeholder for drop down field}} contains “Coffey” %}

What typ of Coffey?
How large of cup?
Milk ? 
{% endif %}

{% {{placeholder for drop down field}} contains “Car” %}

What brand and model do you want rent?

How long time do you want to rent it ?

{% endif %} 

------------------------------

It will give you a dynamic e-mail to the requester based on what they have selected. 

Note: if it’s not working try always to paste the text into notepad and back or mark the  {% lines and click on the remove format button. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hard part with using condition is it’s always YES or NO.
That makes it harder if you have multi optional as you need to build logic for each combination. 
Could  use several expression builder nodes for each option and in the end you use 1 action to set all fields. But that is if it’s one field. If it’s more fields you need one expression node per field. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You should look at Liquid filter.

Truthy and falsy – Liquid template language (shopify.github.io)

In a send mail to user action node you can add something like this 

Hello

{% {{placeholder for drop down field}} contains “Coffey” %}

What typ of Coffey?
How large of cup?
Milk ? 
{% endif %}

{% {{placeholder for drop down field}} contains “Car” %}

What brand and model do you want rent?

How long time do you want to rent it ?

{% endif %} 

------------------------------

It will give you a dynamic e-mail to the requester based on what they have selected. 

Note: if it’s not working try always to paste the text into notepad and back or mark the  {% lines and click on the remove format button. 

Thank you for this suggestion @daniel.soderlund. This was eye-opening, can’t believe I didn’t think of using it in this fashion. Got so conditioned to using the available conditions node for evaluation. What would the above example look like if you were to build it in workflow automator? A visual example would really help out myself as well as any others lucky enough to come across your post!!! Thanks again.

Could involve a few articulation developer hubs for every choice and in the end you utilize 1 activity to set all fields. In any case, that is assuming it's one field. On the off chance that it's more fields you want one articulation hub for each field.Cow Squishmallows