Question

What Stops Subsequent Workflow Rules From Running?

• 2 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m having trouble finding info on exactly how the workflow automator rules run (or not).

My understanding is that when an event occurs, all workflow rules for that event are executed in order:

• Actions performed by workflow rules do not trigger new events of their own (i.e. rule 1 cannot make a change that triggers rule 2 to run)
  • Changes made by workflow rules are visible in subsequent rules (i.e. a value changed in rule 1 can be used in rule 2)

It seems like there are some cases where rule processing stops, but I haven’t found documentation as to why.

For example, Rule #1:

When a reply/forward is sent by the requester - if the ticket is Resolved and the reply contained ‘#close’ - set the ticket to Closed.

Rule #2:

When a reply/forward is sent by the requester - if the ticket is Resolved or Closed - set the ticket to Open.

Rule #1 is above Rule #2 in the order.  Both rules work fine on their own, but when rule #1 is fired, rule #2 does not.  (To be clear, this gives the behavior I want - I just want to understand why, because it doesn’t seem to follow the documentation I’ve seen so far).

When the requester replies with “#close” in their message to a ticket that’s resolved.  Rule #1 runs and correctly sets the status to Closed.

Rule #2 does not run even though it seemingly should since the user replied to a ticket that is closed or resolved.

Is that the correct behavior?  Does closing a ticket in a workflow stop the processing of subsequent rules?  Are there other rules/cases like that?

I’m just looking to understand the rules - I don’t want to rely on behavior that it turns out is wrong, then have my rules break when the behavior gets fixed later on.  🙂

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

After some more testing, I think I found the issue.

Rule #2 is using the Freddy Suggestion “Thank you” message as part of its condition.

The user isn’t sending a thank you (literally just “#close”), so I’m guessing it’s picking up the “thank you” from our help desk signature somewhere else in the email thread?

If I remove the Freddy Suggestion check, then it runs consistently with rule #1 followed by rule #2, as is expected based on the rules.

Mystery solved!  Glad I’m not going (too) crazy.  🙂