Question

Workflow logic

• 5 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

I’m trying to create actions/tasks from an employee onboarding form. 

The form has several “check boxes” for a user to select requested services/software.

The problem I have with the logic in the automator is if a user checks “Field A” to be true, it doesn’t check for “Field B”, unless I create an incredibly complex automation.

Is there any way of “looping back” into the next step in the automation, if that makes sense?

In the example below, the automation won’t check if the user is agency/contract if “line Manager” is selected to be true:

I’m curious to know if other people have seen this and how they have approached the issue

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @oliver.wardell and @afautley, I feel your pain. I have also brought this up to the Freshservice support team numerous times. I have given them multiple usecases. 

@oliver.wardell in regards to onboarding and the generation of certain tasks based on checkbox selections. I have done this simply by building individual workflow automators that check if the checkbox is actually checked.

I have heard that we may be getting the ability to trigger one workflow from another. That functionality would greatly increase our ability to spread out complex workflows. But as far as looping….I continue to bang my head against a wall on that. There is some way of looping through the use of business rules for forms, checkboxes, custom objects, and functional expressions in workflow automators, but it seemed so complicated that I decided it was just easier to clone workflows and make minor tweaks.

I hope they are working on a solution. We truly need the ability to loop in my opinion.

Be sure to let us know if you come across a better solution.

Take care!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for confirming. I’m suprised this is a limitation. Surely everyone has an “onboarding” form with a series of values on it that create tasks based off those values?

Has anyone got any workarounds apart from creating a monumental automation?

This could be solved by adding a “connector” to the workflow automator, so you could connect any “node” to another

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hey Oliver, 

I've raised this with Freshservice previously that not being able to have multiple conditions from one event causes really complex automations. Currently there is no way round it other than to do this, 

Example. 

@Jack Day  @suvashini.balashanmugam  here is another example of someone else really needing this feature. hope this helps moves this forward.