Workspace nor not to workspace

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi, 

I have started to looking into WS in FS in my trial.  
Found few things that I’m questioning “why didn’t they do like this”. 

Wounder if anyone else have been looking into using? 

• No global custom objects, if you have WorkFlowAutomations that uses custom objects you need to create them in specific workspace. You need to duplicate/mirror (manually) the custom object if the same ticket going to be moved to another workspace. 
  • The prefix for the ticket is default workspace(IT)set to SR(type: service request), so of a ticket is routed back to IT workspace it will get SR and not the same it was before like a INC. (You could mitigate this with an WFA and a hidden field that contains the original type)

My findings for now, except they way access it handled and few other settings that has moved around. 

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I created this, if you think it would be good please vote it up. 

Workspace - Global Custom objects | Freshworks Community

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@daniel.soderlund - Thank you for sharing your feedback here and also including your request as an Idea. This will certainly help our teams get perspectives from our users.

Tagging @Deepthi for visibility! 

I'm also running into issues with Workspaces - the api doesn't seem to work since we switched to using workspaces. This applies to both azure user provisioning and other api queries, We get these error messages when trying to connect to the api.

"field": "workspace_id",

"message": "Unexpected/invalid field in request",

"code": "invalid_field"

Is there updated api documentation when enabling workspaces in Freshservice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I'm also running into issues with Workspaces - the api doesn't seem to work since we switched to using workspaces. This applies to both azure user provisioning and other api queries, We get these error messages when trying to connect to the api.

I have seen the same. I looked at the API docs and they haven’t been updated what I can see. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Something I was expecting but didn’t find is the ability for different workspaces to have their own defined list of ticket “statuses”. With some specific status setup as the “default” the system could be setup to change to a matching status if one exists or set to the default. The benefit there would be that each business unit could define how tickets are communicated with their requestors in the ticket portal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Something I was expecting but didn’t find is the ability for different workspaces to have their own defined list of ticket “statuses”. With some specific status setup as the “default” the system could be setup to change to a matching status if one exists or set to the default. The benefit there would be that each business unit could define how tickets are communicated with their requestors in the ticket portal. 

True, you can work around using Business rules 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have seen the same. I looked at the API docs and they haven’t been updated what I can see. 

Much of the API doc has been updated now to include the need for the workspace_id in certain queries.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I hear you @Daniel Söderlund - I’m trying out a new FS and it got created with WS by default.

WFs - choice of Global or WS

Tags - only at WS

More to follow - interesting thread

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I wanted to start a similar thread but since we are here:

• Is it worth switching to workspaces since its a lot of effort?
  • Is it true that Workflows cannot be moved between workspaces and need to be recreated from scratch? Same for Custom Objects
  • What is the benefit of having Workspaces if all the Service Items will land anyways in the same Service Catalog? Why was the opportunity missed to create Workspaces as an additional layer above Service Categories/Service Items? The admin view separates the service catalogs but the portal view not...why? This was only achieved with Issues/Incidents as it looks like
  • Why was it decided that only the IT Workspaces can have Service Requests and Incidents whereas the business workspaces have the same prefix for both requests and issues? I think this can be workarounded by creating additional IT workspaces for all business teams.

“why didn’t they do like this” is my constant impression. Any thoughts? Will this be improved in further versions? Currently I have not found the motivation to take the 1.5 years of invested effort in our tenant to migrate all workflows, custom objects, business rules by hand into new workspaces...

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I wanted to start a similar thread but since we are here:

• Is it worth switching to workspaces since its a lot of effort?
  • Is it true that Workflows cannot be moved between workspaces and need to be recreated from scratch? Same for Custom Objects
  • What is the benefit of having Workspaces if all the Service Items will land anyways in the same Service Catalog? Why was the opportunity missed to create Workspaces as an additional layer above Service Categories/Service Items? The admin view separates the service catalogs but the portal view not...why? This was only achieved with Issues/Incidents as it looks like
  • Why was it decided that only the IT Workspaces can have Service Requests and Incidents whereas the business workspaces have the same prefix for both requests and issues? I think this can be workarounded by creating additional IT workspaces for all business teams.

“why didn’t they do like this” is my constant impression. Any thoughts? Will this be improved in further versions? Currently I have not found the motivation to take the 1.5 years of invested effort in our tenant to migrate all workflows, custom objects, business rules by hand into new workspaces...

Ya there are a lot of design questions.

I have heard that Freshworks are working on a tool that can migrate settings from the main Workspace to a new one. Don’t quote me on that. That will help but only if you haven’t created the WS befor. 
Later on I hope we can clone WFA and CO between WS. 
I hope Global get CO as well or can access CO from all WS’s.  

I think they didn’t want the enduser to see any difference if you was using WS or not. 
It’s why they end all up in the same Service Catalogue.

For IT WS you need full agent license. For the other you can use Business agent license. 
Business agent can’t manage INC/SR tickets that is in a IT WS according to changes notes. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

just saw that Category is also a global field. How you guys handle it for the Workspaces?

• Sacrifice the first Category Level to label them same like the Workspaces?
  • or create a separate per workspace Category Dependent Field and hide the other “Category” fields by business rules?

Is this scalable especially when it comes to reports?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

another issue: Workspace field is not mandatory and cannot be set...!

• In the Global Field Manager its written that the field "Workspace" is required when submitting the form. However, it can be sent without it.
  • I also tried to mandate it via business rules, but the field Workspace is not available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

just saw that Category is also a global field. How you guys handle it for the Workspaces?

• or create a separate per workspace Category Dependent Field and hide the other “Category” fields by business rules?

Category is found in both global and in the WS. Now can every WS have their own category’s. 
In the report you need to keep track of which category that belong to which WS.

In my cases it has been a hassle to continues changing them based on the departments wishes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

• In the Global Field Manager its written that the field "Workspace" is required when submitting the form. However, it can be sent without it.
  • I also tried to mandate it via business rules, but the field Workspace is not available.

Didn’t notice that untill you now. Has to be a bug.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Category is found in both global and in the WS. Now can every WS have their own category’s. 

In my cases it has been a hassle to continues changing them based on the departments wishes. 

Ops you was right it’s global only, sorry my bad. That sux. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Ops you was right it’s global only, sorry my bad. That sux. 

yeah.. And so I am already creating custom Category Fields in all Workspaces including the Business Logic to hide default Category… let’s see how this turns out

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I did open an incident at FreshWorks:

Greetings! 

The workspace field is currently not available in Business Rules. However, I will check with the backend team to understand why the users are able to submit tickets even though the field is marked mandatory.
​I will keep you posted with more updates. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I did open an incident at FreshWorks:

Greetings! 

The workspace field is currently not available in Business Rules. However, I will check with the backend team to understand why the users are able to submit tickets even though the field is marked mandatory.
​I will keep you posted with more updates. Thank you!

It should be that by default as it say here but controlling using BSrules would be great to be able to hide some WS from the requester. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

ok found another bigger issue with workspaces: Since the Business Workspaces do not distinguish between Service Request and Incident I cannot create Business Rules to mandate or hide fields if there is a requested item or not!

So that means for example the Category field will be always there even for Requested Item tickets. In the IT Workspace I could hide this unused field if it was a Service Request…

Any workarounds?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

ok found another bigger issue with workspaces: Since the Business Workspaces do not distinguish between Service Request and Incident I cannot create Business Rules to mandate or hide fields if there is a requested item or not!

So that means for example the Category field will be always there even for Requested Item tickets. In the IT Workspace I could hide this unused field if it was a Service Request…

Any workarounds?

IT based WS has SRQ and INC but others are treated as SRQ. All ticket that get moved from IT to a non IT WS get converted to SRQ. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

and the next showstopper 😀:

I requested that some of our current licenses which where Non-Workspace licenses for Agents should be converted to Business Workspace license. This for me is a logic step as Business Workspace licenses did not exist at the time of purchase and therefore we bought normal IT Agents.

Now the management at FreshService declined this request and said that we cannot convert 50 of our 100 Agents into Business Workspace Agents as this is only allowed at the end of our contract period which is mid of 2025!

That means in order to use them we would need to buy them additionally! I think this is not fair as this business model was not available a year ago… but they also declined a discount on the business licenses…

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Looks like my last comment didn’t get posted. 

Ticket are treated as SR in all WS except IT-WS( created with the IT template).

In IT-WS you can have SR and INC. 

When you move a ticket from IT-WS to a NON-IT WS it will be converted to a SR in the eye of the system. So if you have a INC with child tickets and move it to a non-it WS. The ticket will loos it’s connection to the child tickets. 

So with BSrules you can use ticket type SR for WS. 

You should be able to use agent licensen in a non IT WS. You loos the benefit with the price but you can get the functions. 

Badge

Has anyone been able to transfer existing WF automator flows and SRs to different workspaces? It doesn’t make any sense to recreate everything from scratch. Any tips would be much appreciated, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Has anyone been able to transfer existing WF automator flows and SRs to different workspaces? It doesn’t make any sense to recreate everything from scratch. Any tips would be much appreciated, thank you!

All I heard is there is maybe a tool coming that can migrate but for now it’s all by hand.