Running a business with multiple brands? Know how to support them with Freshdesk :)

If you’re a growing business with multiple products, Freshdesk makes it really easy for you to manage support for all of them under one account. When we started out, we were just Freshdesk and a few thousand customers reaching out to us everyday. 

Over the years, the Freshworks brand has grown beyond Freshdesk, and we currently have 7 products that businesses use (Freshservice, Freshchat, Freshsales, Freshmarketer, …).  And together, our team of 130 support agents handles over 1500 questions across these products everyday. And we manage support for all of these products from just one Freshdesk account - support.freshdesk.com.

We thought we’ll delve deep into how we configured this setup, and how we manage support across 7 products seamlessly in one Freshdesk account. In this topic, we’ll specifically talk about how we:

• set up a new product and mailboxes, with a dedicated customer portal 

• added relevant self service content

While we’ve detailed how we’ve made this work for our suite of products, you could have a similar set up for each of your brands or categories for which you need to provide distinct experiences for your customers.  

Multi-product in Freshdesk allows you to support different products using a single Freshdesk account. 

Each product gets its own support portal which can include product specific solution articles/ community forums. You can also customise the portals including their URL to reflect your branding. This way, it provides an exclusive product experience for the end users. Multi-Product in Freshdesk is available on the Estate and Forest plans.

Setting up multiple products in Freshdesk:

We just launched a new product. How do I support customers across products in one place?

When we launched Freshservice in Jan 2014, customers started writing to us on support@freshservice.com. Their questions reached a separate inbox - which wasn’t ideal. We had to find a way to manage support for both the products in one place.

Freshdesk’s very own multi-product feature came to the rescue. From Admin > Multiple products, we setup Freshservice as a new product, with support@freshservice.com as the primary support email.

Warming up the customer portal:

Now that I’ve set up a product, how do I set up a dedicated portal from where customers can get help and reach out to my team?

Once you’ve hit ‘Save and Enable’, you’ll be taken to the portal settings page where you can add the unique URL, product logo and specify the default portal language. Here’s how Freshservice’s portal configuration looks like:

Although we added support.freshservice.com as the portal URL here, we had a couple more steps to complete before the portal actually went live. 

We took the help of our IT admin to create a CNAME record in our DNS to point support.freshservice.com to the helpdesk URL ie. support.freshdesk.com

When you’re setting up the portal, you’ll find the respective CNAME and TXT records you need to configure just below the portal URL field.

**Our support team often receives a lot of questions around portal URL setup. To know more, please check out the notes from our support engineer's diary.**

Connecting mailboxes:

I’ve come this far. But my customers reach out to me via different email addresses. How do I connect all of them with the product I’ve setup?

The product setup screen (refer Setting up multiple products in Freshdesk) allows you to setup the primary email address for the portal. But given the dynamics of our business, Freshservice customers were already reaching out via multiple email addresses. We had to link those specific email addresses to the product we had set up. We did that by going to Admin -> Emails section

If you’d like to associate new mailboxes to your product, you can do so by clicking the ‘New support email’ option.

Although we got the email addresses associated with the new product, we were still another step away from getting our customers’ emails into our Freshdesk account. 

Our IT admin came to the rescue again. They helped us configure the forwarding rule from the mailbox to the address Freshdesk provided. 

Freshdesk provides you with a unique forwarding email address for each mailbox you setup. 

Going live with the portal:

So, we were all set to roll out the self-service portal for customers. Oh wait! The self-service portal was missing out on critical information - the knowledge base.

We began with some articles that helped our customers not just get started with setting up Freshservice but also guided them to troubleshoot issues themselves. We also added a couple of community forum categories to encourage user driven discussions and to get product ideas and feedback.

We associated these articles and forum topics with the Freshservice portal from the portal setup screen. 

If you’ve come this far, you’re all set to deliver support experiences based on your brand (or product). 

With all of this done, we were all set to launch the customer portal but we later decided to give it some more time. Read the next post in this series to know why.

References:

1. Supporting multiple products with Freshdesk

2. Using a vanity support URL and pointing the CNAME

3. FAQs on multi-product

Cheers!

4 people like this idea

Thanks for this detailed instruction on how to set up Freshdesk for multiple brands. I'd like to add that if you have different support portals for different products or departments, you don't have to buy an additional theme for each of them. You can use only one Freshdesk theme and get a multibrand license for each additional product or brand. It's a real money-saver. 

What if I want to set up 'Multiple Products' but keep the same email address for each?

Login or Signup to post a comment