Importing contacts is not working

We are a new customer and I am trying to import a test csv file with a single customer before I attempt to import our entire file.  I matched up the fields that applied and started the import.

It appeared to work but no contacts show up and I never got an email stating it failed or a success.  I made two attempts and it resulted the same way.  No records and no email.

I did delete all of the test contacts but when I logged in this morning it appears that two test contacts reappeared.

It's hard to test when there is no verification process after the import AND test data returns from the trash after a delete.

Please advise