Question

Google DMARC error preventing delivery

• 7 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Notification emails have stopped being delivered to my gmail account due to DMARC policy at freshdesk.com

Any ideas?

Brad

Here’s the email error from Google:

{
    "recipient": "paulbradleysmith@gmail.com",
    "log-level": "error",
    "storage": {
        "region": "us-west1",
        "key": "BAABAQWYuzDPFDG_IK1AyKqO8xQZiNrJZA",
        "env": "production",
        "url": "https://storage-us-west1.api.mailgun.net/v3/domains/meetingsavvy.com/messages/BAABAQWYuzDPFDG_IK1AyKqO8xQZiNrJZA"
    },
    "id": "1smkBwRJTJy1m0ajSvRO0g",
    "delivery-status": {
        "enhanced-code": "5.7.26",
        "description": "",
        "attempt-no": 1,
        "code": 550,
        "utf8": true,
        "message": "5.7.26 Unauthenticated email from freshdesk.com is not accepted due to\n5.7.26 domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of\n5.7.26 freshdesk.com domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit\n5.7.26  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the\n5.7.26 DMARC initiative. g15-20020ac84b6f000000b00417a09a99b2si402338qts.724 - gsmtp",
        "session-seconds": 0.317,
        "certificate-verified": true,
        "tls": true,
        "mx-host": "gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com"
    },
    "message": {
        "attachments": [],
        "size": 4010,
        "headers": {
            "to": "brad@meetingsavvy.com",
            "subject": "New ticket has been created -",
            "message-id": "65713a1d98abf_1f43fbe261242f054437892.sidekiq-frequent-fd-poduseast1-free-green-59fd7cc56d-bf5rx@notification.freshdesk.com",
            "from": "MeetingSavvy <support@meetingsavvy.freshdesk.com>"
        }
    },
    "user-variables": {},
    "timestamp": 1701919263.556561,
    "envelope": {
        "transport": "smtp",
        "targets": "paulbradleysmith@gmail.com",
        "sender": "bounces+us.1.491554.2548-support=meetingsavvy.freshdesk.com@emailus.freshdesk.com",
        "sending-ip": "104.130.122.28"
    },
    "event": "failed",
    "flags": {
        "is-system-test": false,
        "is-authenticated": false,
        "is-test-mode": false,
        "is-routed": true
    },
    "tags": [],
    "severity": "permanent",
    "recipient-domain": "gmail.com",
    "reason": "espblock",
    "campaigns": []
}

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi PB,

I looked into this request pretty quickly - While I would need some additional information to troubleshoot it, I certainly don’t think posting it publicly would be a great idea. You can use MxToolbox to help with this issue. Based on the information you have provided already, it appears SPF and DMARC are your largest issues.

I don’t see an SPF to allow the subdomain to send on behalf of the email listed above.

SPF is limiting to a single domain

I used SPF and DKIM to setup my instance, so I really can’t help with the DMARC issue you are experiencing, but I think specifying the subdomain you are sending from in the DNS record should resolve your issue.

Badge

Thanks for looking. I don’t have a custom domain. Unless I misunderstand your response, I am not sure the solution applies to my case. I suspect that if I were to upgrade and implement the custom domain I could solve this with what you suggest.   I am surprised I guess that Google rejects mail from support@XXXX.freshdesk.com just because there’s a subdomain. 

Brad